Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timing belt still squealing: Distributor perhaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing belt still squealing: Distributor perhaps?

I cannot be replacing the timing belt every month (which is a massive pain in the ass in this car). I NEED to find out what is causing this. Internet research hinted to me that it MIGHT be the distributor (I'm not sure how).

The belt squeals when I start the car or go to a complete stop. It has nothing to do with the weather. It doesn't squeal as bad or as frequently when I turn off the headlights or A/C. I tried running the car a solid minute before I turn the A/C or headlights on but the belts still squeal.

I've replaced the idle pully along with the timing belt last time but that didn't help.

Also, the front converter is really stagnating the exhaust. I ant to remove it. Should I remove BOTH of the converters? Will nasty white smoke spill out if I do that?

Somebody PLEASE give me some advice as to what to do next. It's not that the belt is merely an annoyance, it snaps off at random. And the converter needs to be changed because when it's hot outside my car is the slowest o the road.
    97' Protege LX 1.5L

Just to clarify something, are you talking about the drivebelt and mistakenly calling it the timing belt? The timing belts sits on teeth and can't, therefore, squeal. The drivebelt sits on straight tracks and, therefore, can squeal. Just the fact that you talk about the headlights and A/C making a difference in the problem says that it's not timing belt oriented. I have to wonder how having changed your timing belt made a difference. Well, that's if you actually ARE talking about the timing belt. Ofcourse, one does have to remove the drivebelt in order to take off the timing belt. Maybe when you put back the drivebelt during the timing belt replacement you take some pressure off the real problem. Since your A/C and headlights kind of make a difference, your A/C compressor might have its bearings degrading, thereby causing drag by not moving freely. This can also be happening to the bearings on the alternator. This means one or both units are working fine but the spinning is having problems in one or both. I would check out those units for free movement first.

Comment

yup. if that's the timing belt, your engine would be screwed already.
      ProtegetechPhilippines Boy MazdaspeeD MyCaR

Comment

OMG I AM talking about the drivebelt. Sorry I was really tired when I wrote that.

AC Compressor. I think that's what it is. I put in a new alternator because its' bearings were terribly corroded. It fixed the problem initially but the squealing came back.
        97' Protege LX 1.5L

Comment

Originally posted by 8 BIT ORGY
          OMG I AM talking about the drivebelt. Sorry I was really tired when I wrote that.

You aren't the first person who's done that here....unless you posted about it before, cause someone psoted about the same issue before. oh well, we all make mistakes sometimes
          Please sponsor me for the American diabetes association Tour de Cure.
          http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...383&px=3361088
          together, we can find a cure for Diabetes!!!!

Comment

And now the expensive A/C compressor replacement. The A/C is a pain in the arse due to cost but not due to difficulty in replacement. If you do it yourself you lose the freon so you have to buy that too. Take the compressor to a rebuilder in your area(after you lose the freon to the atmosphere). If the A/C blows cold air still, tell him it works fine but the bearings are shot. If the compressor is super old already, you should buy a new one if you are going to keep the car for a few more years. That's because you may get the bearings fixed and then one or two years from now(or next month!) the clutch or something else on the compressor will go. See if the guy will just rebuild the whole compressor so that it will last. See, I once had an alternator fixed at a place I always went to before he closed down. He, as usual, fixed the part. This alternator ended up squeaking like mad because of the worn bearings inside that he never replaced. Those guys only replace what is currently not working and are not going to go out of their way to fix what is going to wear away soon. If they replace other items that are about to wear down, they will have to charge a bit more and therefore look more expensive than their competition and we then don't go to them for the repairs. It's their fault and ours too.

Comment

i've been considering taking ac out completely 'cause i don't ever use it for the mileage sake. but in florida... i'd probably run the AC, and about only servicing the current faulty part, it makes complete sense.
              95 ES
              05 S60R

Comment

Once the belt starts squealing, you should have the pullies re-tensioned. Also Belt dressing helps, but only as a temporary solution to a problem. New replacement parts for the pulley and alternator system would probably fixed the whole problem.

Getting to these belts are a bitch.

Comment

Working...
                X