No announcement yet.

I can't get my idle down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, no. I took it off only to see if the TB was the problem. When I took off my TB to clean it out because I had a high idle that yanked the tranny and mounts everytime I put the car in ATX gear, I put something back on wrong and the idle went to car busting ultra-high. It must have been off somewhat already and I made it LOADS worse. The accelerator cable was pulling on the throttle pulley too much. I, ofcourse, pushed down on it a bit a couple of weeks before but it seemed not to be too tight. My friend at work suggested I take off the cable to see if the TB worked fine and sure enough it did. It turns out I was only, GULP, turning one of the two screws on the cable to try to make it looser. That only turned the whole cable instead of lengthening the length so I figured that's not the problem. His making realize the cable was too tight made me look more at the cable and realize that you have to loosen one nut on the cable and then the other. To move each nut, you have to also have a wrench on the other to keep it from also turning. I put the cable back on and did just that. As I said on the other post: Flame me. Call me stupid. Put the little smiley that shows me getting whipped. I deserve it all. I had kept feeling it and it didn't seem too tight. It was too tight all this time. I deserve whatever I get.
    Last edited by mannydingo; 07-28-2005, 10:01 PM.

Comment

i sure hope you took pictures. when you say throttle body, this is attached to the intake manifold right? the intake that looks like a header?

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
      Mods:
      DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

Originally posted by beetle_orange
        i sure hope you took pictures. when you say throttle body, this is attached to the intake manifold right? the intake that looks like a header?
        Ofcourse, you know, the TB. The one with the metal flap to let more or less air in. The one the intake hose goes connected to. The accelerator cable goes attached to the little pulley thingy that's attached to the TB. That's how that flap opens or closes according to how far you press down on your accelerator. I didn't take pictures because my camera was either stolen or I left it somewhere. I tend to do things like that due to poor concentraton/memory.

Comment

Glad it's fixed Manny. Told ya' it was the cable tension.

You're right though, my idle was nowhere near as bad as yours. I'm thinking it was sticking about probably 1500-2000rpm from the sound of it (Canadian SE = no tach). This was still a PITA as I would stop at a light or stop sign and the car would be holding revs until I got my foot under the throtle and pulled up on it. It's all good now though.
          1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun32390
            Glad it's fixed Manny. Told ya' it was the cable tension.

You're right though, my idle was nowhere near as bad as yours. I'm thinking it was sticking about probably 1500-2000rpm from the sound of it (Canadian SE = no tach). This was still a PITA as I would stop at a light or stop sign and the car would be holding revs until I got my foot under the throtle and pulled up on it. It's all good now though.
            You sure did say it was the cable tension. You got me thinking about the cable as well. When you mentioned it and then my co-worker gave me his idea about disconnecting the cables altogether, it got me to look into the cables again. Kudos to you. It seems to be a problem only people who have gone through can suggest help on. The manuals do mention the cable check first but you get stupid and give up on them since you don't realize you're not understanding how to adjust it at the moment. This thread is going to be a big help to someone with the same problem in the future if they make use of the search function.

Comment

Working...
            X