Alternator issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator issues

Sounds like my alternator may be going bad, or the belt/pullies? are going bad.

When the car is cold, I hear a squeal thats really only present when theres a load (ie lights, defroster..)
    I heard a ton of stories about people getting alternators rebuilt, but it never solving it 100%.

Is it worth just buying a new alternator, and not bothering getting it rebuilt?
    '98 Protege (Sold at 125k miles)
    2006 Mazda3S Grand Touring, Heated Black Leather, Moonroof, Bose 6CD, Tow package (LOL)

i would probably go with a surplus one first. there's a couple of forum members that are doing a BP swap, i am sure they'd be more than willing to sell you parts of their z5.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
    Mods:
    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

Originally posted by beetle_orange
      i would probably go with a surplus one first. there's a couple of forum members that are doing a BP swap, i am sure they'd be more than willing to sell you parts of their z5.
      Yeah, but he should ask for the pullies too so if it keeps squealing, he can take the alternator off and try that also.

Comment

Just have your belts tightened. It's a common problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Tawd
          Just have your belts tightened. It's a common problem.
          I concur.

Whenever mine starts squeeling I just tighten it, and its fine for a few months until the belt stretches, then I retighten it....

It would also help to put a better quality belt on there also. I found OEM Bandos on carparts.com

Comment

I agree with Tawd. Check your belt for wear and stretching. To see if it is loose grab the middle of the belt and try to turn it 90 degrees. If it turns more then tighten it.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

Working...
            X