• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another...
    Attached Files

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
    1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
    Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

I just pulled out the outer half of the stock airbox two days ago (the stock filter is still there). Even that felt like it made a difference in power, although I could be imagining it. While I was at it I revved the engine a couple of times without the filter, and it really didn't sound much louder once I closed the hood. On my last car adding the ram intake filter really did make a big difference even attached to the stock air hose, but I haven't tried that on the Mazda yet. It's worth a shot... you can get relatively cheap intakes on ebay, between $30 and $60 for a filter that you can install yourself.

Comment

so are we sayin it does something if we take it out thats positve? .5 hp? better throttle response? better sound? a billionth of a second off our 1/4 mile? anything at all?

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
          Did you pull the motor out you car. Is that what I see in y our sig
          I updated my sig with an as-of-today pic that's a little easier to see. The pic that was there was taken at night of my entire front end removed, including the radiator support. Today I welded the new one on and commenced reassembly No, I didn't pull the motor out during any of this.
          '98 ES - For Sale!

Comment

so are we sayin it does something if we take it out thats positve? .5 hp? better throttle response? better sound? a billionth of a second off our 1/4 mile? anything at all?
            If you're talking about removing the silencer and doing nothing else, then that's probably about all you'll get. The only real benefit is that the car will feel just a little faster cause you think you modified something. There won't actually be a noticeable gain until you start changing filters and intakes.

Comment

I guess I may just be thinking too but mine feels better. It's never gone from 60 and up like it does now. It does sound a little different if I've got the windows down and my system turned off.
              I took off the air silencer and put that little black piece that was at the very end of it onto the end of the black pipe that comes from the air box. This was supposed to "catch" the air. Who knows if it works any but it seems to.
              Are all of those stupid plastic covers really necessary?? That was the most tedious part of the whole thing. One after another. I think there were 3 that I had to move in some way or another to get at things.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
              Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
              I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaMania

Are all of those stupid plastic covers really necessary?? That was the most tedious part of the whole thing. One after another. I think there were 3 that I had to move in some way or another to get at things.
                I had already removed all of that to work on my accident damage. In fact now that I think about it I had removed the air silencer as well so that I could drill out all of the spot welds that held my radiator support on. I took it off and said to myself, "This thing is pretty silly, I guess I won't be putting this back on." :p:
                '98 ES - For Sale!

Comment

Working...
                X