Chip Module (any good ? )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chip Module (any good ? )

I was wondering is the Chip modules they sale on ebay for around 35$ are any good.

Please let me know, i`m thinking of getting one

Maverick

no!
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Seriously, it doesn't do crap. You will see ZERO gains from it.

Comment

omg t43 HP gZaiN!!!!!11111

in all seriousness, don't bother, it can only hurt.

Comment

im waiting for the day to see someone with one of those hooked up in their car so i can laugh.

Comment

it gave tawd's car 50whp
            93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
            02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
            05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

It's interesting how often the Chip Module (aka magical resistor box) technology keeps cropping up. This is actually a very old technology first discovered by Tom Swift in 1910 who used it to increase the power of his motorcycle. It was written about in the book Tom Swift and His Motorcycle, by Victor Appleby in that same year.

Subjected to continuing development, Swift developed an improved version that was utilized to increase the performance of a military tank. You can read about this in Tom Swift and His War Tank, published in 1918.

The penultimate model was ready for production in 1923 and its details appeared in Tom Swift and His Flying Boat, published that same year.

The most advanced example of the magical resistor box (the Mark IV version) was presented to the world in 1930. Swift determined that he had reached the limits beyond which no further development was possible and this remained the final version. All present day magical resistor boxes that are sold on E-Bay are essentially copies of the 1930 Mark IV model. For a fascinating description of how the Mark IV was developed and the performance increases it made possible, refer to Tom Swift and His Big Dirigible, also printed in 1930.

The question keeps coming up on the Forum asking how effective these devices are when installed in the Protege. Althopugh no definitive answer yet exists, careful reading of the above-mentioned books may point you in the right direction. At the very least, you'll gain insight into the exciting world of scientific inquiry and discovery.

Happy Motoring!
              Last edited by goldstar; 04-17-2006, 11:45 PM.
              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
                It's interesting how often the Chip Module (aka magical resistor box) technology keeps cropping up. This is actually a very old technology first discovered by Tom Swift in 1910 who used it to increase the power of his motorcycle. It was written about in the book Tom Swift and His Motorcycle, by Victor Appleby in that same year.

Subjected to continuing development, Swift developed an improved version that was utilized to increase the performance of a military tank. You can read about this in Tom Swift and His War Tank, published in 1918.

The penultimate model was ready for production in 1923 and its details appeared in Tom Swift and His Flying Boat, published that same year.

The most advanced example of the magical resistor box (the Mark IV version) was presented to the world in 1930. Swift determined that he had reached the limits beyond which no further development was possible and this remained the final version. All present day magical resistor boxes that are sold on E-Bay are essentially copies of the 1930 Mark IV model. For a fascinating description of how the Mark IV was developed and the performance increases it made possible, refer to Tom Swift and His Big Dirigible, also printed in 1930.

The question keeps coming up on the Forum asking how effective these devices are when installed in the Protege. Althopugh no definitive answer yet exists, careful reading of the above-mentioned books may point you in the right direction. At the very least, you'll gain insight into the exciting world of scientific inquiry and discovery.

Happy Motoring!
                that was too funny lol

Comment

buy it it works, i got 75 whp with it
                  .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                  225.94wtq
                  torque monster!!!!
                  dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                  http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                  http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by Gro Harlem
                    it gave tawd's car 50whp
                    Extra or total?

Comment

i'm thinking total.

but if one gave goldpro 75whp...i think i'll buy ten.
                      proud owner of a 13lb 5 ounce porker baby boy. no longer the proud owner of the car below, it now belongs to 95pro.

Comment

Seeing as the guy has 99.7% positive feedback, it must be doing something right. Read some of the comments and decide for yourself whether or not you want to buy one. I have one (not this model) and I love it. Some companies have a money back guarantee if you don't like it.

Comment

Here, I found you a cheaper one

Comment

sweet at .99 i'll buy one hundred. so 100x75whp is......
                            proud owner of a 13lb 5 ounce porker baby boy. no longer the proud owner of the car below, it now belongs to 95pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Tawd
                              Seeing as the guy has 99.7% positive feedback, it must be doing something right. Read some of the comments and decide for yourself whether or not you want to buy one. I have one (not this model) and I love it. Some companies have a money back guarantee if you don't like it.
                              Of course, one possible explanation for this positive feedback about the device's effectiveness is the possibility of "cognitive dissonance" acting on the individual. Cognitive Dissonance theory was first developed by the psychologist Leon Festinger in 1956. It is a theory that deals with how individuals reconcile conflicting thoughts, feelings or attitudes that they encounter in their everyday lives.

Here is a direct quote from the website: "Cognitive dissonance is a state of opposition between cognitions. For the purpose of cognitive consistency theory, cognitions are defined as being an attitude, emotion, belief or value, or even a mixture of these. In brief, the theory of cognitive dissonance holds that contradicting cognitions serve as a driving force that compels the human mind to acquire or invent new thoughts or beliefs, or to modify existing beliefs, so as to minimize the amount of dissonance (conflict) between cognitions."

In other words, someone buys and installs a magical resistor box (MRB) expecting to gain UP to 35 HP. After the initial thrill provided by the experienced BuHP increase, extended driving reveals no additional performance gain over stock and perhaps even a decrement in performance due to the less than optimal circuit parameters introduced by the resistors. As the full realization hits home, two contradicting cognitions emerge: on the one hand, this device is worthless and does nothing; on the other hand, I just spent my hard earned money on this POS and that makes me a mark or a member of that class of people of which it is said, there's one born every minute. Furthermore, the mark begins to consider that if a slight resistor manipulation could yield 35 HP, why didn't the factory incorporate it into the PCM to begin with? The last straw occurs when he hears on the Forum that his "chip" actually contains a couple of dollars worth of Radio Shack resistors.

There we have a classic example of cognitive dissonance. One way to resolve this conflict is to invent a new belief system in which the mark is now able to convince himself that, in fact, the MRB really did provide an impressive increase in performance. That being the case, the mark no longer thinks of himself as a fool but now sees himself as a right smart dude for adding all this performance to his car by just hooking up a few wires. Additionally, to consolidate this new belief in his mind and really convince himself of the effectiveness of the MRB, he now writes a testimonial to the seller on the theory that if he's going to all the trouble to do this it must really affirm the validity of his new belief that his MRB is providing almost as much HP (35) as would a turbo running around 5 or 6 PSI boost. The human mind is truly a fascinating instrument.

This is just one possibility although I could be wrong.

Happy Motoring!
                              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Working...
                              X