P1170 front pre-cat O2 sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P1170 front pre-cat O2 sensor

I had a P1170 for about a month (HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 1 Circuit Fixed ), and occasionally also P0134 - O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Bank 1 Sensor 1 and P0140 - O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Bank 1 Sensor 2. I hoped that the P0140 is also related to the first O2 sensor. So I replaced the pre-cat O2 sensor yesterday with a Bosch 13362. I clear the codes and went for a 1/2 hour drive. The codes didn't come back. But this morning the P1170 came back again! As far as I know the P1170 indicates a front O2 sensor circuit fault, so why is it still there after a new one was put in?

By the way the car is 96 with 1.5L.
    Last edited by kruiser; 09-21-2005, 10:02 PM.

Was there another post here before? Seemed like someone had a few answers to my questions of the haynes manual not having enough information.
    Semi-related thread

My pro is also forced to running in open loop due to my O2 sensor error code.

My pro also takes a while for the codes to come back on. I erased the codes in northern nj drove to dc/md area (~230+ miles), and drove an additional 15+ miles before the code came back on.
    Last edited by loganss; 09-23-2005, 03:21 PM.
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

I have been monitoring my first (front) O2 sensor voltage for a few days during driving, with a laptop scan tool. Most of the time the voltage is on the order of 0.01V. During idle and cruising at constant speeds, the voltage is 0.000V, only during hard acceleration does it go up above 0.5V. Correct me if I'm wrong - the front O2 sensor is supposed to range from 0.1 to 0.9 volts, and most of the time it should fluctuate around 0.5V (0.45 or 0.5V being the 14.7:1 fuel/air stoichiometric ratio). My brand new Bosch sensor with OEM connector is not producing any voltage most of the time, which explains why I still have the P1170 code after changing the sensor (P1170 means the first O2 sensor is not switching). Is it safe to say that the P1170 is not caused by the sensor but some other related circuitry? What could cause an O2 sensor to stick?

Also, during stop and go driving, the code would go away but it would come back when I start cruising on the highway. I know that the ECM relies on the first O2 sensor for fuel/air adjustment in closed loop. So this could be why the MIL with P1170 comes on when I start cruising.

Another problem is that the long term fuel trim is always 0. I have no idea if this is related to the O2 sensor not switching. Only the short term fuel trim changes - it goes up to 25% but never negative. According to TSB 3870 in the FAQ section, the long term fuel trim must change at different RPMs in order for my I/M monitors to set, this explains why I have 4 monitors in the Not Ready state - which seems to be a common problem for 96 Proteges. As stated in the TSB, I'm going to recheck my idle RPM and timing.

So these are the problems I have observed, but I don't have any solutions or where to start looking. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Oh ok so you have a laptop connected to the OBD terminal that gives you more indepth read outs. If you don't mind me asking can you post how you set up the laptop (i.e. software, cables, etc). I've just been using a simple actron scan tool.

I'm not sure what you mean by fuel trim. Is this an OBD read out?

Did you check to make sure there is nothing wrong with the O2 sensor wiring (exposed wires, dirty terminals)?

Maybe you could turn the car on and have it running for 2+ mins w/ your laptop scan tool plugged in and use the method I used in the other thread for checking the O2 sensor. Could help to determine if it's a wiring problem.
        ED
        '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
        Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
        WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

I don't know how helpful this will be since this info comes from the '02 FSM but I'll relate to you what it states since it's all OBD II.

Possible Causes for P0134 (Front) circuit no activity detected:
          Front O2 sensor deterioration or heater malfunction
          Leakage from exhaust system
          Open or short to ground circuit between front O2 terminal A and PCM terminal 60
          Insufficient compression
          Engine malfunction

Possible Causes for P0140 (Rear) circuit no activity detected:
          Rear O2 sensor deterioration or heater malfunction
          Leakage from exhaust system
          Open or short to ground circuit between rear O2 terminal A and PCM terminal 35
          Insufficient compression
          Engine malfunction

Also according to FSM, reasons for front O2 sensor to exhibit low voltage stick (voltage from sensor remains below .45 V):
          Sensor malfunction
          Fuel injector malfuntion
          Pressure regulator malfunction
          Fuel pump malfunction
          Fuel delivery hose leakage
          Air suction or leakage
          PCV valve malfunction
          Purge solenoid valve malfunction or hoses hooked up incorrectly
          Ignition coil malfunction
          Insufficient compression
          Engine malfunction

Finally, fuel trim problems short or long term, can be caused by inoperative or malfunctioning front O2 sensor as well as by some of the same causes for O2 sensor low voltage stick.

I hope at least some of this will be useful to you. Good luck in finding the problem.
          Last edited by goldstar; 09-25-2005, 08:04 AM.
          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Working...
          X