oil catch can?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil catch can?

I had ordered an oil catch can because I keep having oil go into my intake even after a new pcv valve, new hose on the pcv valve and a thorough cleaning...

anyone know how to hook it up properly, can someone link me to a good tutorial or something, I have an idea, but I want to be sure and hate to buy my friends again.

since i am getting oil in my intake, should I put it between the hose that comes from the valve cover into the intake, or should i put it between the hose that runs from the pcv valve to the intake manifold? does anyone know?

Comment

No, I would leave the tube with the PCV valve in it alone. The PCV valve needs to do what it does without anything affecting it.

I'm pretty sure an oil catch can goes between your valve cover and intake tube.

What you need to do is mount the catch can somewhere around the intake side of the engine bay. I would put it along the framerail underneath the airbox if you're still using it. Or if you have an aftermarket intake, there should be lots of room in the vacinity.

You then need to plunb some tubing from the valvecover to the catch can.Then again from the catch can to the port on the intake piping. The idea is to have the oil which is heavier than the air to collect in the can and the fumes to re-enter the intake and be consumed by the engine. That's why people use them to prevent oil from settling in the intake piping.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. There has to be somebody who has one installed...

How much oil are you getting in your intake?
      1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

i figured it was between the intake and the valve cover myself, but i've also heard between pcv valve and intake manifold

so i dunno

im using an aftermarket intake, no airbox, moved by the bumper

also it's enough oil to make it noticeably low in a week or two

Comment

I just made my own. I have a smoky engine with bad rings right now so I was getting a lot of blow by pressure. I hooked mine up between the valve cover and the intake tube. It works fine their but if you mess with the pcv valve you will have a bigger problem and end up with a smoking car too.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

can you guys show pictures?

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
            Mods:
            DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

my boost gauge is hooked between the pcv valve and the intake manifold and I haven't had any probs (thank goodness)

i'll hook it between the valve cover and the air intake hose, i know oil is comming out of there for sure.

Comment

Working...
              X