Exhaust manifold gasket - which way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust manifold gasket - which way?

Which side of the gasket goes towards the block?

I looked in the FSM, but there's no mention of it. They had instructions for the intake manifold and thermostat housing gaskets, but not for this. I'm sure it makes a difference, so which side goes where?

Mid-day bump. Anyone?! I have to go put this **** on in a couple of hours!

Comment

The pic didn't work. Does it look like the one on the z5?

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Project Protoge
        The pic didn't work. Does it look like the one on the z5?
        It's basically flat on one side and dull. The other side is shiny and has indentations.
        Attached Files

Comment

I am about 75% sure that the metal side goes towards the manifold. I just woke up though and my brain isn't quite all their yet.

Comment

Metal? Both sides are metal though. You mean the shiny side?

Comment

My father tells me the shiny side goes towards the head to prevent heat transfer. I think it's the other way around... you don't want heat staying in the engine... that's why there's a heat shield on the manifold - to keep the hot in the manifold and carry it out, not to soak in the engine bay.
              Last edited by Intruder; 12-11-2005, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I super-f*ing hate the FSM. There's so much **** that's simply left out!

Comment

I am not sure where I read it but I ran into the same problem when I put a new manifold back on. I checked mine and it is installed shiny metal side towards the maniflold and Viton covered side towards the head.

Comment

the dull side goes toward the head to allow slipping of the gasket with expansion and contraction. If you put it on backwards you can get funny noises as the engine cools down like you get with a motorcycle. Ther was a TSB for Tributes with v6 about this .
                    98 protege lx 1.8l
                    short ram intake custom
                    crane hi-6 ign.
                    14 miata alloy wheels
                    .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

Originally posted by kansei
                      the dull side goes toward the head to allow slipping of the gasket with expansion and contraction. If you put it on backwards you can get funny noises as the engine cools down like you get with a motorcycle. Ther was a TSB for Tributes with v6 about this .
                      Right on. I got an answer quicker on miata.net, but without the explanation. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X