'96 Protege ES broken timing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'96 Protege ES broken timing belt

New to the forum and I am asking for some advice. My timing belt broke on the way back from Utah. I had it towed to the garage I have been using for the last 10 years. Yesterday I did a search on this forum and thought that I found the answer here:

that this is a non interference engine. My mechanic is telling me that it is an interference engine. That the engine has two bent valves and will require at least 10 hours of labor to tear it down, repair, replace parts and put it back together. Can anyone tell me definitively if this is an interference or a non interference engine?

I was pretty sure that it is a 2.0 engine but reading through the FAQ's it appears that the 2.0 engine was not offered on that model year. Is that correct? The car was brought out of So. Cal (late in the summer of "96) for me as I wanted the ES with larger engine, manual transmission, and ABS. Thanks for your help.

Then it is a 96 ES with a 1.8L engine.

That engine is not an interference engine. I think it's been said before that Mazda never made interference engines. Well, that doesn't matter... I know for a fact that YOURS IS NOT.

How does he know that there are 2 bent valves? I'd bring the car to a different shop. Them telling you that it's an interference engine is a reason enough to not let them work on the car.

Comment

Find a friend who also has a trusted mechanic. Take your car to that mechanic. Tell him you need the timing belt replaced and that you did some research and found that your car is a non-interference engine. If he agrees that it's non-interference(and it definitely IS non-interference) then have him do the job. This job should not go over $400. I have done this on several differenc cars of different makes. It requires NO valve repairs. I did buy a Nissan once that came with the belt already broken and sure enough, two valves needed to be replaced that got bent. That didn't add much since the guy had two used ones around in his shop. Your car's valves are fine. By the way, after the repair, let your OLD mechanic know of the end results and PRICE! Just don't be rude. He's sure to say that he would have found out it was non-interference upon opening it up and would have charged less in the end. That may or may not be true.

Comment

The only four cylinder engine made by mazda that is an interference design is the F2
        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Thank you for the information. I guess my next move is to find a mechanic who knows that this is a non interference engine and have the car towed to his shop. This is a job for which I have niether the knowledge nor the tools/work space.

If any you have the time/inclination/knowledge - what other parts will need to be replaced when a timing belt breaks/needs replacement? On my Miata it was strongly suggested that I replace the water pump as long as the car was already taken apart. Are there simular issues with the Protege?

During the course of my conversation with the owner of the garage I stated that I thought that the Protege was a non interference engine and he replied that it was an interference engine. It is always disappointing when someone you've trusted abuses that trust.

Comment

agassiz52,
            what part of northern arizona are you from?
            Almost there

jdm tails... check
            jdm bumper... check
            ms lip... check
            ms grill... check
            ms sideskirts... check
            ms rear skirts... check
            ms spoiler... check
            ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
            Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

95Pro,

I live in Flagstaff. Where are youin AZ.?
              Last edited by agassiz52; 12-30-2005, 10:24 AM.

Comment

flagstaff.
                Almost there

jdm tails... check
                jdm bumper... check
                ms lip... check
                ms grill... check
                ms sideskirts... check
                ms rear skirts... check
                ms spoiler... check
                ms struts... check

Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

you should check out kens imports, kind of pricey. or a shop on 6th ave near the sunny side area, called lifetime automotive.
                  Last edited by 95pro; 12-30-2005, 10:30 AM.
                  Almost there

jdm tails... check
                  jdm bumper... check
                  ms lip... check
                  ms grill... check
                  ms sideskirts... check
                  ms rear skirts... check
                  ms spoiler... check
                  ms struts... check

Comment

95pro sent you a PM.

Comment

PM not rec'd.
                      Almost there

jdm tails... check
                      jdm bumper... check
                      ms lip... check
                      ms grill... check
                      ms sideskirts... check
                      ms rear skirts... check
                      ms spoiler... check
                      ms struts... check

Comment

resent

Comment

Also replace the timing belt tensioner.
                          The Valve cover gasket is a given, and IF they are leaking, the front main seal, cam seals and distributor seal. But thats IF they are leaking.

PS, how exactly did he determine that there were bent valves>??
                          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

The conversation is a little garbled in my memory. I believe he said he did a leak down test. I do not know what that test is or what the result of the test tells you. I have tried searching the forum and get some hits on it but have found no specific explanation of this test.

I also querried Mazda USA on this engine. Their reply;

In regards to your inquiry, please note that the 1996 Mazda Protegé
                            has a non-interference engine relative to the fact that it has a belt
                            rather than a timing chain. If the belt were to break valve damage can
                            still occur even in a non-interference engine. I'd suggest that you
                            have a Mazda Dealership, specifically, address such matters for you.
                            They have all needed technical resources and support to ensure that not
                            only their information is correct, but that their repairs are performed
                            under manufacturer specifications.

The dealer thing is not going to happen as I am 150 miles from one I would trust to work on it.

So my mechanic could be right about the damaged valves, even though he incorrectly stated it was an interference engine.

He is talking ten plus hours of labor and a total of two grand to rebuild this thing. Does this sound reasonable if the valves are bent?

Comment

Leakdown test, basically, with valves closed they fill your cylinders with pressurized air, and measure how much escapes over a certain period of time. Too much over too little time means that something isn't right.

Comment

Working...
                              X