Runs great, still smokes though

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runs great, still smokes though

Ok so i was workin on my SVT Contour changing out my stock rims for some that i bought. Well i saw the pro sittin there and i was like im gonna start on her right now. So i pop the hood jack it up and start checkin everything out....check the oil and it seems to be way overfilled so i completely drain all of it out and put some in which is the oil that i have always put in my car since the day i owned it and then i cranked it. Low and behold she starts up just fine.....idles fine...revs fine...seems like nothing is wrong with the engine......though it does still smoke and when i rev it, it still dumps oil out my muffler but anyways i let it idle for awhile untill it got up to running temp and then i looked undernieth and no oil spots or anything.....also the smoke is white with a blueish tint to it when before it was just pure white.....but the night it happened it wouldint rev, wouldint do anything i had to tow the pro to my parents house because it would barely start and pressing the gas wouldint do anything while it was running. But now it seems fine besides the smoke/oil out the muffler.....

Though the BP swap will still happen i do indeed want to squeze as many miles out of the Z5 as possible
    Last edited by Mazda96Protege; 12-30-2005, 02:15 AM.

Well to much oil could cause leaks and when I put my new engine in my car still smoked a little for a week or so, nothing like before but it was slowly burning the oil out of the exhaust system. As far as not wanting to run if the oil was leaking past the valve seals it would have seriously thrown the fuel air off.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Project Protoge
      Well to much oil could cause leaks and when I put my new engine in my car still smoked a little for a week or so, nothing like before but it was slowly burning the oil out of the exhaust system. As far as not wanting to run if the oil was leaking past the valve seals it would have seriously thrown the fuel air off.
      Yeh the night it happened the spot where my pro was parked had oil EVERYWHERE....and now haveing ran it today there were no oil spots at all.

just seems wierd to me that night it had to be towed because it was done for....even when i worked on it a few days after i got nothing thought the Z5 was dead for good. And now today i go out and she runs perfectly fine besides the smoke and oil...it does throw alot of oil out the muffler though. like it made a puddle when i revved it up alittle.

Comment

Yeah I think it pools up in the muffler because it really only sprays out like that when their is pressure. I had to run mine hard for a few days to get the liquid oil out of the exhaust. The only way I knew it wasn't still coming from the engine was by constantly checking the oil level.

Comment

Well to update this i ran the car for alittle today and still runs good does everything good.....just the damn smoke and oil, so what the hell!? obviously the smoke is due to the head gasket because its white with a blueish tint...but yet it runs good........

Comment

The smoke is coming out the back (tail pipe), yes?

Comment

Compression test.
              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                The smoke is coming out the back (tail pipe), yes?
                Yes the smoke is coming out of the tail pipe....

Comment

I'm glad mine isn't. lol
                  I hope that means MY head gasket is alright.

Comment

lmao thanks martin!!!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                      Compression test.
                      I second that.

Comment

Would you mind taking a picture of your engine from the top where the firewall side of the engine can be seen? I just mean from the top, not the actual rear wall of the engine.

Comment

haha took an engine pic yesterday.......but is this what your talkin about?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Precisely what I wanted. Why did I suspect you had the part I was thinking of on your model? Not all 2nd gens have it. Ok, look at your picture again but with the arrow I added to it on my post. That little plastic jug thingy is called a resonator. When I first got my car, one of the two plastic receptacles for the vacuum hoses was broken off it. Yours aren't broken. Go ahead and remove this resonator. Be very careful as you pull those hoses off. You can break those plastic tubes on the resonator that I'm talking about. Twist the hoses left and right first then pull with caution. After that, remove the three, or so, bolts that hold that jug in place. As I took it off to put a non-broken replacement without the broken hose receptacles, oil poured out onto my pants and the bumper. It should not have had that much oil in there. I then did maintenance on the car and connected vacuum hoses that were either connected to the wrong place or not connected at all. I'm not saying the latter is the case with your car. I have not seen the blue-ish white smoke I got the car with again. The previous owner of your car may have been another non-caring car owner. The Z5 is a good engine but, unlike the BP engine, can't handle poor maintenance as well. If it was treated bad, you're going to have problems.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X