Piston Rings!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piston Rings!!!!!!!

Today I noticed only a small bit of oil coming out at my oil change. I also noticed small pieces of metal in my oil. I went ahead and changed it, then I tested my compression. My first cylinder had very low compression compared to the rest. I consulted my haynes manual, which I reccommend everyone have, and it says the piston ring is probably shot. So I am about to embark on a ring job, and was wondering if anyone has done this to their 98 protege 1.5 yet. Is it a pain or is it not to bad. Haynes makes it look easy but its haynes, they are genius's! Thanks for the help.

If that's your first time doing a re-ring, leave it to the pro's. Take it to a shop and have them change the piston rings.

Comment

I agree with TheMan. If you do it yourself it will cost you just as much as getting an imported engine. Just replace the whole engine and don't bother with the rings.

I thought I would just replace the rings in mine when they went bad so I pulled the motor and removed the pistons then called for parts and the prices added up to be just as much as the engine I got with a 1 year parts warranty.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

Working...
      X