Clutch won't Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch won't Release

I've just installed a new clutch and engine in my 95 mx3. Everything went smooth as silk until I pushed my clutch in from the pedals and it would not return, or release. the slave cylinder works fine because it pushes the rod out from the cylinder which pushed the clutch fork forward, however.. me and a buddy have kind of concluded that either the clutch disk might be on the wrong way.. my clutch disk had 2 different sides.. one side was perfectly flat and the other had a center that pertruded off the disk.. we put the pertruding side facing the transmission, and the flat side on the flywheel.. and the throwout bearing was properly installed without a doubt.
    does ANYONE have any idea what the problem could be? Could the problem be either the disk is on wrong, or something around the clutch fork? Any help or advice would be great!
    Thanks!

The clutch is installed right. The only possible problems are air in the slave cylinder, bad slave cylinder, clutch fork not properly hooked up to the through out bearing, debri bewteen the pressure plate and cluth disk and incorrect clutch kit. Their may be others but I didn't get much sleep last night so my mind is not working to well right now. Good luck.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

ok. so the only thing it can be is the fork and throw out bearing.. because there is definately no debris, and it's not the wrong clutch kit, it was from a dealer, and also, the slave cylinder works fine. lots of pressure etc.. and we bled the lines to make sure there was no air.. bled them completely and the refilled and pumped FOREVER to get the pressure back.. cylinder is fine.. basically, the only thing that it could be would be something around the throw out bearing and clutch fork..is it possible that the fork and slip off of anything or come out of place at all?

Comment

See if you can move the fork with your hand. If not then you may need to continue bleeding the slave. If you can then it is possible that the clutch fork is not attached to the throw out bearing.

Comment

I'm able to wiggle the clutch fork.. im guessing that the pivot bearing and the clutch fork have become seperated.. is there any way to fix that through the service hole near the bottom of the tranny.. (near the slave cylinder)... and will there need to be any parts replaced if it has come seperate.. or is it just a matter of putting them back together?
          I'm most likely going to have to take the engine and tranny back out again, and do it through there.. im almost 100% positive that it is the pivot bearing and the clutch fork.. anyone have good instructions on how to fix it?
          thanks a lot!!!!

Comment

oh.. and im positive that it's not the throwout bearing.. because the throwout bearing is (right now) constantly in contact with the teeth.. the fork simply is not coming back into original position..

Comment

Un fortunately you will probably have to separate the engine and transmission not just for easier access but to be sure that their is no serious problems with it. You shouldn't have to actually remove the tranny just support the engine and lower the tranny a little so you can get your hand in their and work on it.

Comment

Weird enough, I'd have to say your me . I'm right now in that EXACT position. The clutch stays to the floor but the mechanic working on the car will fix it so I'm not worried about it anymore. I'll let you know what he does.
                Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

yeah, kinda sucks since I just put in a new engine and clutch kit lol.. oh well.. this weekend im gonna take the engine out again, and get a good look at that bell housing, i think the fork is off the pivot.. shouldn't be a big deal.. and it's cheap to repair.
                  thanks guys

Comment

I'm having a similar problem with my clutch. ('97 Protege DX) Mine's the original clutch. I stopped in front of my house today with the car in gear and my foot on the clutch and noticed that the engine was struggling. I put it in neutral and it idled normally. I released the clutch pedal and pressed it again and it felt like there was no resistance until it was almost at the floor. The pedal will come back up, but not all the way and it comes up slowly. I drove it a bit more and the clutch is not disengaging fully most of the time and it engages fully when the pedal is about 1/2 inch from the floor. the car has 135k miles on it so up until today the clutch engaged quite high. over the last week and a half I've been grindinf into 2nd and 3rd every once in a while and I assume it's because I don't have the clutch pushed in far enough (I've put 40k miles on this car so I've gotten used to how far I actually need to push it to shift.) If I pump the clutch pedal 5 or 6 times it seems to act normally one or two times after that. There are currently no leaks in the system, but I did replace a sticking brake caliper a month ago and I know the clutch and brake system share a reservoir. I don't think I let the reservoir get empty, but that was a frustrating day so I can't be sure. I know with 135k miles on the car the throw out bearing or release fork could be worn or damaged. I wouldn't be heart broken if I need to replace them and the clutch and pressure plate. Is it possible that I got air in the system a month ago and it's just now causing problems or does it sound like it's a sure thing that I've got some mechanical issues?
                    Please sponsor me for the American diabetes association Tour de Cure.
                    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...383&px=3361088
                    together, we can find a cure for Diabetes!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X