Flashing CIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flashing CIL

Just bought a '98 1.5. The test drive was good, no problems and no light. The next day the lot boy washed it before I picked it up and he hosed the engine. When I started it it ran on three cylinders and set a code for #1 cylinder misfiring. I replaced the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs after I dried the water out of the plug hole. I pulled the air cleaner top off to gain access to the car and rotor. Forgot to tighten the clamp on the hose to the throttle body. It ran fine that day. The next day it still ran fine but the CIL started flashing on the drive home. I had read the owners manual and it said to get it checked soon, not that I needed to shut it off so I drove it on home(6 miles). Now I get a P0421 code after driving about 10 minutes. The scan tool says that the warmup catalyst is below its threshold for the current operating conditions.

Question 1: Did I kill the cat by not stopping immediately?

Question 2: Is there a way to test the cat or do I just replace it?

Question 3: Is there an aftermarket cat that fits without a lot of trouble or should
    I just buy it from the dealer and avoid all the issues of making a
    "universal" one fit?

Not fixing it is not an option so please don't waste time by suggestting that.

Thanks
    Paul

A flashing MIL usually indicates a mis-fire of some sort. It is possible that you did damage the cat by still driving, i personally havent heard of a cat going so quickly, but then again, i havnt really had the experience to make that a statement worth anything much. I know if overheated, the cat will pretty much melt down to nothing. If you have, or have access to a scan tool. Hook it up and check your second o2 readings, in open and closed loop. Your cat will start working once it heats up to a certain temperature, and you should notice the difference in the second o2 sensors readings.
    From what I know, there is no aftermarket cat made for the Z5, everything you would find would just be a stock replacement. I'd say your best bet would be to go to a dealer, or any other source you may be able to find them cheaper, and go through them.

Mods:
    JDM Headlights + Corners
    JDM Tailights
    1st Gen LX Black Wheels
    Shaved Side Mouldings
    Second hand 'High-Flow' Muffler
    Cone Filter
    KYB GR-2's + Perf Lowering Springs
    E-Bay front strut bar
    Gauge cluster swap w/ Tach + Indiglo gauges
    40% Tint on side windows, 20% on rear
    and the best custom 3rd brake light overlay...'ZOOM'

Comment

Along with what JZProwler said I would also unbolt the cat and visually check it. If it is just carboned up then spray a bunch of carb cleaner on it and hope it works.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

you can probably get an OEM replacement for less than you would pay at a dealership, it shouldn't be a big deal for any decent exhaust shop to do.

Comment

does the p0421 code refer to front cat or rear cat? if rear...wouldnt any cat that is around same size work in its place? even if it needed to be welded?

thanks..
          Mario

Comment

yeah if it is the rear cat u can replace it with a universal but if its the front one u cant put a universal on it u have to buy the same one and they are about $200

Comment

Well hey, I took my front one off because of the turbo. I have a gutted front one and a front one that works with less than 50k on it. If he needs a front cat I'll sell him mine really cheap, it's just sitting in the garage.

Comment

if the rear cat goes it wont throw a cel.
                replace it with a test pipe.
                Destroying the environment FTW
                Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                Originally posted by HopelessCow
                there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Working...
                X