my z5 turbo update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my z5 turbo update

I believe the wastegate was messed up on the smaller turbo for my car. The spring seemed weak, especially for an 8psi wastegate. It also had a small circular hole drilled into it, weird - but it looked stock, i dunno... something tells me wastegates should not have holes in them. The turbo did not spool with it on there, so no boost was generated.

I am using the same small turbo, but with a wastegate from a saab t3 that we had rigged up to clear the tranny, much like we did with the first saab t3. I also found out a little about this turbo, many of you will find this interesting. It's jdm, but we had no idea what car it had came off of. Got it from a friend a few doors down with a 500 hp civic hatch.

------
    The IHI RHB5 Turbo, a few different styles of this turbocharger, This turbo is the Ford Probe/Mazda MX6/ 626 Turbocharger. It has a circular inlet flange, and wastegate that is set at 8psi. (i had changed it to a 5psi saab wastegate, hope it boosts this time)

These turbos are very small, and spool incredibly fast on stock D-series engines.

You can see how small and compact this turbo is, which makes it very easy to work with. It is both Oil and water-cooled. Some people chop the O2 housing downpipe section in half so they can get a better angle with the downpipe.

theres two pics for you.

we made an adapter for the flange. rectangle plate with a circular hole cut out bolted to the t3 flange on our exhaust manifold that we welded, turbo bolts to the bottom of the plate. I sealed it all with copper sealant made specifically for turbo/high performance vehicles. (to find out more about adapter plates check the section on homemadeturbo.com)

tomorrow morning i hook up oil in and out lines, and clamp my pipes down. I am running my mass air flow off the intake side of the turbo, with a pipe to extend it out so it doesn't burn up like last time. I have a feeling it had problems because the mass air flow sensor was in the pressurized piping, either way, when it boosted with the saab t3 the maf was on the intake side of the turbo and it was fine.

to solve the oil pan situation i ran a pipe going upwards a little from the inside of the fitting in the oil pan. Even though the small turbo did not produce boost or spool because of a wastegate problem (turbo shaft is fine and spins freely, no play at all, very good condition) it did not leak any oil. So the seal is good and my oil pan setup worked on advice from project protoge. so... tomorrow morning will determine if we have another successful z5 turbo or if my car goes back to stock i get really pissed off and scrimp to buy another car.

it rained really bad, remnants of hurricane... i have off tomorrow (thurs.) morning.

more info then.

Comment

boosted at 2k rpm... running 5 psi now to test it.

hoses are touching some hot spots, need to reroute those tomorrow... gonna weld from the downpipe to my stock exhaust so it's nice and quiet soon...

gonna hook up my lineage grounding kit later to see if there's an improvement.

i pulled in the driveway and oil was EVERYWHERE...

turns out the oil inlet hose blew off thanks to a crappy hose clamp... got a new and better one, tightened it down super tight... didn't leak when i first started it in the driveway though... gonna go for a quick drive around the block to see if she leaks or if anything else is wrong. if it's good, it's just a matter of replacing my taped up radiator hoses and making sure everything is out of the way of hot parts like exhaust, manifold and oil pan.

so far so good.

Comment

took it for run 2

i need to replace the oil inlet hose with a steel braided because the rubber won't last long

i need to replace my top radiator hose because it has a hole in it

i need to replace my bottom radiator hose because it rubs my downpipe off the turbo

they are the necessities. probably heat wrap and steel braid them.

the other things
        exhaust (necessity, but not to run) will be welded up once that's fixed.
        ground wire kit, again once it's running in a reliable fashion.
        also, my starter is screwed up, have to puish it in reverse to get her to start, sometimes it just clicks and doesn't start. how hard is it to put in a starter on our cars. i looked in my haynes book but it didn't show me exactly where, the black and white photos look bad. anyone have the info?

turbo project is finally almost finished... i will have pics up after i rework the hoses in the next few days.

Comment

nice... has anyone dyno'd a turboed z5 yet? i want to do it as well, just to have some balls to my car, then waste my money on my other car.
          how much can i expect to dish out for this setup
          peace-matt

Comment

about a grand, and a few weeks of your life setting it up, welding exhaust, locating parts... fixing problems, just play on a month without your protege just in case.

my starter is arcing electicity somewhere, or at least its in that area, everything else is fixed though, any ideas what would make it spark somewhere near the starter?

anyway, expect to visit junkyards sourcing parts and fabricating things, it's a lot of work, but it's worth it, if you want a complete parts list of how to do it right the first time i'll post it up soon.

Comment

hey thanks man.
              keep up the killer work

Comment

I plan on having pics tomorrow after I fix the starter sparking problem.
                in case you're wondering, here's a list of every little thing that I've done. And when I say every little thing, i mean every little thing. I only split it into two categories so a lot of the performance stuff doesn't actually give true performance, but it wasn't aesthetic either...

1998 Mazda Protege Automatic DOHC Z5 1.5L JDM ENGINE

PERFORMANCE MODIFICATIONS

jdm Z5 engine swap with the good throttle body
                jdm Mazda MX6 turbo turbo
                home made adapter plate for t3 flange manifold to MX6 flange inlet
                internal wastegate from a 1988 saab 900 t3 turbo
                intake with foam mushroom filter
                1995 ford aspire mass air flow sensor
                relocated mass air flow sensor
                relocated air intake temp sensor
                lineage grounding system
                bosch blow off valve
                mitsubishi eclipse intercooler
                custom turbo piping
                custom exhaust system
                turbosmart boost controller
                steel braided oil lines
                steel braided wastegate vacuum line
                custom turbo exhaust manifold
                throttle body coolant bypass
                removed first oxygen sensor in exhaust manifold
                relocated second oxygen sensor
                removed first catalytic converter (a.k.a. pre-cat) for the turbo
                apexi turbo timer
                helix oil catch can with breather filter
                tapped oil pan
                high heat silicone hoses
                spal slim fan
                straight through muffler
                gutted back of car for weight reduction
                wing on the trunk
                lowered suspension
                14 inch american racing wheels
                removed splash guard under car
                removed bumper reinforcement
                removed front grill for better air flow
                cut front bumper for better air flow
                hood scoop
                walbro 255 fuel pump
                12:1 vortech fuel management unit
                front and rear strut tie bars
                hood pins (had to destroy the front of my car to fit the turbo in)
                battery relocated to the trunk to make more room in the engine bay

OTHER MODIFICATIONS

fiamm horn
                blue brake calipers
                blue valve cover
                blue dash trim
                cheap cd player
                two six by nine speakers in the back
                cell phone clip on visor
                mazda seat belt pads
                blue floor mats
                blue steering wheel cover
                blue seat covers
                blue gas and brake pedals
                blue led lights in the foot-wells
                painted car black
                mazdaspeed sticker
                super bright xenon headlights
                halogen projector fog lights
                triple guage pillar on driver's side with sunpro boost gauge, air/fuel meter, and voltage gauge
                red and blue LED lights to illuminate the factory and sunpro gauges
                toggle switches below factor gauges to control slim fan, sunpro gauge pod lights, and fog lights
                chrome fire extinguisher
                blue interior lights
                1996 trunk garnish/reverse light swap

COMING SOON

hook up horn connection and make sure it is fine
                figure out something to do with the other switch - hook up a light or something to it?
                EBC green stuff brake pads
                powerstop drilled rotors
                replace the starter since it is going bad or figure out the sparking
                fix other hood pin or rig latch or something to pass inspection
                add in another slim fan or hood vents or something to help with heat, just in case the scoop and the fan isn't enough
                put battery in battery box in trunk and L bracket it in, so it's correct and not ghetto

Comment

Originally posted by strutman
                  about a grand,
                  bull **** on that.
                  my exhaust alone cost $280 for piping and $50 for the muffler used.
                  I'm at looking at 2k coming up real soon. And you've bought 3 damn turbos.
                  Your probaly hitting 3k with all the **** that keeps breaking.
                  Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                  kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                  Originally posted by HopelessCow
                  there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                  Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

man you paid too much for exhaust piping. i paid 150 for mine mandrel bent aluminized. that was from my header back.
                    mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

it's all about connections.

my exhaust was 20 dollars for piping. i have a friend with a welder
                      my manifold was 20 bucks for the flange, i have a friend who can weld cast at work.
                      my oil pan was free, we had fittings laying around.
                      my turbo was 65 bucks no shaft play pulled straight from a parted out mx6 a friend had
                      my muffler was 50 bucks
                      bov was free from junkyard, ::devilface::
                      fmu was 30 bucks off a friend
                      piping was 10 bucks from a junkyard off a saab or two, we just rewelded it up to fit
                      boost controller (optional) $75
                      turbo timer (optional) $80
                      vac hoses and crap - 20 bucks
                      various fittings - again free
                      steel braided lines (optional) - 30 bucks

thats not counting pads and rotors and the grounding kit and various other upgrades that aren't needed... and they weren't that expensive either...

if you do things right, you can stay under a grand easy...

if you screw up like i did at first, the turbos got blown because the oil pan backed up and blew them out...that accounts for the 3 blown turbos...

do it right, pay attention to my mistakes, ask before you do, have the various resources and tools on hand and you can keep it under 1k...
                      oh and the fuel pump was 70

Comment

3 in madrel bent piping cost alittle bit more than 2in piping.
                        and I had some realy nice brakets welded on it.
                        My exhaust doesnt rattle at all.(except on bumps but thats cause of the ride height)
                        Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                        Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

i wanted quiet so i kept it a little larger than 2 inches, va beach is a biiiig "street racing" area and the cops seem to be targeting only the imports lately even if they didn't do anything illegal, they'll pull for exhaust since it's a 200 dollar fine here. blah. You don't NEED 3 inch though. A turbo setup can be done for under a grand. fact remains most will spend more to get the "luxury" items. we all do, but if someone is totally strapped for cash, it can be done. It's easier to not buy it all at once and to just get piece by piece, doesn't seem as expensive

Comment

yeah i parted my **** together for about 6 months.
                            And while 3in exhaust isnt nessary. Its sexy. very very sexy.
                            I do think that its better to get the best you can in the begining
                            so you don't have to replace it down the road.
                            With the exeption of my turbo. that was old. and I knew would die somehow and soon. Id still BUDGET 2k. So you can fix what breaks when it will.
                            Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

i agree, because of that shift cable my car is still down, i'm really tired of the little problems. It all could have been avoided with better planning though. It took me a while to piece together my parts.

I would like to upgrade the injectors to be safe though.
                              what injectors should I get? Preferably online because it's easier for me. How much will they cost? I'm looking for low budget so I'd be safe running 8psi.
                              oh and im looking for direct fit, just unplug and plug in. nothing complicated, no adatpers and junk like that. junkyard is an option i guess, as long as i get direct fit ones.
                              and wouldn't i need some kind of EMS in order to use larger injectors?
                              Last edited by strutman; 06-26-2006, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X