Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powersteering problem in 1995 1.8... need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powersteering problem in 1995 1.8... need help!

Hello everyone. This 1995 Protege (4 cyl 1.8 ltr) has been in my family since it was new. My parents bought it and had it customized by the dealer (im not sure what all options they had added to it), they drove it for my few years, then my sister had it while she went to college, then I bought it from them. It's always had maintenance kept up on it... and has been a very good car as we have gotten 175,000 good, totally trouble free miles out of it.

But the first problem EVER, that any of us have had with the car is starting to come around. When the a/c is on, the power steering doesn't work at all. There is no steering. When you try to turn it, you hear the belt squealing. But when the a/c is off, the power steering works pretty good, it barely squeels. I'm not sure if this is meaning the pump is on its way out, or the belt has slack, or what. I just know that I'm needing advice on what to do. This car is used for a 70 mile (one way) commute 6 days per week, and it's my only car, so I was looking to get it done pretty quick (i'm a DIY kinda guy).

Any suggestions would be appreciated... and i'm glad I found clubprotege! Thanks again guys!

You may have to do a little trial-and-error which wastes money. First, go to the auto parts store and buy a replacement power steering pump. While you're there, get a new drivebelt. When you have the belt off, make sure the P/S pump's pulley moves freely. Also check if the A/C pulley moves freely. If the problem persists, the A/C compressor may be the problem when the clutch on it locks on during use. That's the best I can think of right now. Maybe someone can weigh in. Oh, first make sure the belt is tight. However, if it were loose, you would be hearing mad squealing. Remember, you don't tighten the belt by just turning the adjustment screw. You have to loosen two bolts first, you then adjust the belt with it's bolt and then you re-tighten the other two bolts.

Comment

Its obviously the ac compressor.
      Seeing as its fine anyother time.
      Replace it.
      Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
      kitty, you are a hilarious woman
      Originally posted by HopelessCow
      there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
      Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

It would be ok to chance a junkyard compressor or used one from somewhere else. However, since you also have the p/s pump problem, you don't want to risk that the problem is still there after replacement and wonder if the used compressor is also bad. I know it's a long shot that it's also bad but you will not be able to erase the doubt from your mind. It's going to cost more but go with new or rebuilt if you're going to try the compressor first. Remember, replacing the compressor yourself at home means you will lose your freon to the atmosphere so you will need to buy that too.

Comment

that was your 900th post. and probaly your 10 billionth sentence
          Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
          Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Originally posted by 98b/w pro
            that was your 900th post. and probaly your 10 billionth sentence
            You've got to do something about those one-sentence posts(Yes, the above is only one sentence even though you inserted that period in between a single sentence). You need to learn how to say things with more words than are actually necessary. Maybe I can offer some pointers.

Comment

Ok.
              How is this.

mannydingo did you happen to look at your number of post after the previous one you just made?If you didnt I would like to point out that it is rather high. In fact it is as high as 21/2 full rotations. If you are unsure of how much that is. Please search we can't have lazy people on the fourms. So you have made a very anniverious post. And my previous statement which you mocked could be considered 2 sentences. If i had capatilized and. because of its location after my previous sentence it would mean "and (that was)probaly your 10 billionth sentence. "

Better?
              Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

my previous statement which you mocked could be considered 2 sentences. If i had capatilized and.
                But you didn't capitalize so it's not 2 sentences. I imagine your doing it again was on purpose. Please tell me it was on purpose. That's because, as you stated, WE CAN'T HAVE LAZY PEOPLE ON THE FORUM! So, as for you asking:
                Better?
                The answer is no.

Oh, and yes, I understand what you mean by anniverous.
                Last edited by mannydingo; 06-16-2006, 01:31 PM.

Comment

a/c compressor has been replaced last summer, but the problem didn't start until lately...

Comment

Originally posted by DarrylLeeOHS30
                    a/c compressor has been replaced last summer, but the problem didn't start until lately...
                    Was it new, rebuilt, bought at a junkyard, ebay, forum member?

Comment

Or in short.
                      How many miles was on it?
                      Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

sorry its been so long since I could reply, ive been having computer problems as well.

But anyway... the AC compressor was a brand new unit.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrylLeeOHS30
                          sorry its been so long since I could reply, ive been having computer problems as well.

But anyway... the AC compressor was a brand new unit.
                          I figured it wasn't the A/C compressor. That's why I inquired about its history.

Comment

did you reuse the same pully on it?
                            Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

did you reuse the same pully on it?
                              Good question.

Comment

Working...
                              X