can you turbo the 1.5 engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can you turbo the 1.5 engine?

i was thinking bout turboing my car but i havent never heard of anyone turboing the 1.5 motor i was wondering if it was possible and if it was what kind of turbo would you recomend

a GT big 60.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Originally posted by phildaddy
      i was thinking bout turboing my car but i havent never heard of anyone turboing the 1.5 motor i was wondering if it was possible and if it was what kind of turbo would you recomend
      no, you can't turbo the 1.5
      Almost there

jdm tails... check
      jdm bumper... check
      ms lip... check
      ms grill... check
      ms sideskirts... check
      ms rear skirts... check
      ms spoiler... check
      ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
      Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

yes you can but you have to TWIN turbo it. and you need a supercharger.
        and 2 intercoolers.
        Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
        Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

so i take it that i just need to do a 1.8 swap and then turbo it

Comment

You can turbo anything if you know how.
            If you need to ask if you can, then no you won't be able to turbo anything.

Comment

I dunno strutman managed to do it.
              kinda
              Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

yea it's not too hard to cut some pipes, weld stuff up and make sure you're lines are right...

i will say, don't go junkyard like i did... that's why im having so many problems, and it was my first ever turbo setup so i did make many mistakes.

ask questions of myself, 98b and project protoge since we are the three originals on here to do it in some form or another, i'd say that 98 and i followed the coattails of project pro tho... there was some other guy that did it but took his kit off since he had probs, my setup still isn't reliable yet... we'll see

prepare for down time, money, and again... LOTS OF QUESTIONS FROM OTHERS WHO HAVE DONE IT BEFORE YOU! namely, us three... honda guys will tell you different things, mustang guys will tell you others... they're different engines with different MAF or no MAF setups and all that... ask us here on the boards and pay no mind to the people giving you joking comments... if you want to do it, you can... time, effort, knowledge, and money... gather your resources... if you need help, pm me...

Comment

you can turbo any engine the question is whether or not its worth it.
                  mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

hey guys, just noticed this thread, and I just had a thought... might not be much help, but...

I have a 2000 pro, with the 1.6l ZM... not quite the same as the LZ 1.5l, but the heads interchange, that I'm sure of... so if the heads interchange, that means manifolds bolt up... so anyone thought of using a 1.6l turbo kit on that 1.5l? I might be way off, I've actually never seen a second gen under the hood... not too many of those around here... Mazda Canada was having some issues in those years, and distribution of the protege was not up to par.. not many on the roads here in Mtl from the second gen. and I don't know anyone who owns one.

Comment

the manifold flanges are completly diffrent.
                      and your bore is 2-3mm(iirc) over ours.
                      the DOHC b6 is a better option for us.
                      but apath/poverty makes it easier to ghetto rig something.
                      Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

well i was just tryin to figure out if i should get a new motor and have it done i wont be doing the turbo work my friends shop would be doing i odnt know anything about engine work i do body work and a few types of accessories

Comment

Depends what you're looking for. A turbo BP will cost more than a turbo Z5 if you're doing both from scratch because you'll be doing all the same stuff, plus an engine swap. But you will get more out of it, and sourcing performance parts will be a lot easier. Plus it's been done many times before.

Comment

Working...
                          X