Please help out a new guy with a crappy problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help out a new guy with a crappy problem

First off I want to say I love all the information here but I could not find anything under search to match the problem my gf is having.

First off she has a 96 1.5 with over 140.000 miles.
    I just did the plugs, wires, fuel filter, cap, rotor, all fluids changed within the last 800 miles. maf sensor, dragon r air intake.

A couple months ago she was having a problem with the car not wanting to start, you would have to sit and rev the engine until it warmed up and then it would go without dying.
    I have a friend who works at grease monkey and he did everything on the car he could and after he flushed the intake with whatever they use the car started and ran great even after it sat all night.
    Well after awhile of running fine it started acting weird. After it warms up it will sputter and run like crap until you get up to speed. and this always happens after it has been ran for more than 5 minutes or more every morning.

Now the exhaust has started to leak under the front of the car around the same time the sputtering started to happen and now on top of that the muffler rusted and broke free from the pipe/flange at the rear so now when it starts sputtering it sounds like a damn lawn mower, at least I have heard worse from other cars on the road (I was making fun of them, now she is the one to make fun of) lol.

Now reading the forums I read someones post who had a somewhat similar problem and people said the cat could be clogged up, could this be true? would this happen only after it warms up?

I have read that it is more than likely the fuel pump? What does this sound like to someone?

Also what have other 96 owners put in the place of the muffler? My gf wants the aftermarket sound with only maybe a 2 1/2 inch tip, nothing crazy.
    Since I have to pay someone to make another pipe I may as well replace the crappy stock muffler.

Thanks to anyone who may be able to help us with this. She has to pass emissions this month and I told her I will do all the work but I was just curious if anyone else has had this kind of problem.

Do you have a cehck engine light on??

If so, check the codes and get back to us.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Ha....... sounds like my problem I just had in my 97 1.5. I would recomend you to change the Fuel pressure regulator.

What happend to me was it would hardly run without giving lots of gas. then it would run ok for a bit until I would come to a light. They did everything and finnally someone who knew what they were doing figured out it was that regulator!

So... spend the $100 (canadian) and hopefully this helps!

Comment

At one time I got a code that it was a bad ground to the maf sensor. I replaced the maf and the code went away and the light will not come on even after it runs all crappy.

I went ahead and ordered a fuel pump so I will also get a fpr, shouldnt hurt to try
        Thanks for the help. If this doesnt work im sure I will bother you guys again.

Comment

um

fuel pressure gauge? lol
          http://www.cardomain.com/id/stamar
          :microwave

Comment

Cap?

Sweet
            Last edited by Emperor; 01-14-2007, 10:27 PM. Reason: I'm stupid
            Why Won't You Die!

Comment

Update

Well after replacing the fuel pump and all that good stuff a month ago the engine decided to lose compression in the #1 cylinder. Oh well we are just using it as a back up car, it will still run great every once in awhile when the cylinder fires

I went ahead and ordered her another engine off Ebay for $500 with shipping.
              At least if this engine lasts another 100,000 miles then the $500 would be worth it.

Now I figured since im going to change the engine minds well change the clutch, tires and some bushings up front.

Im glad she doesnt owe any more money on this thing

Comment

about ur gf wanting a new exhaust.. i just got mine done.. i got a 2.5 pipe cat-back with a new muffler... it has areally nice deep tone and costed 220.. worth it!

**SOLD**
                Now in a 02 Focus ZX3

Comment

Working...
                X