Some quick ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some quick ?'s

Ok, so this summer i was thinking of selling my 1996 Protege DX 1.5L Z5(183k) and getting a 01ish Focus hatch. But my friends have been telling me to just get a re-build, trans swap to 5spd, fix up the body, suspension,wheels, and do a LX interior swap. Right now the car is in OK condition, just a few dings, but the sand mica paint job is near perfect. I was wondering if anyone on here had done a trans swap from auto to 5spd and how did it go, price, etc. Since i figured i wouldnt get **** for trade in cuz of teh millage and the interior is kinda messed up. So ant comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    check out my cardomain for more pics... www.cardomain.com/id/patspontiac

**SOLD**
    Now in a 02 Focus ZX3

It all depends on what you want out of a car. If you want to put money into a car so its more yours and not like someone elses, then do all the work to the mazda. If your just goin for upgrades with not a whole lot of effort, then go with the focus. The hatch is a nice model for the focus.

Im kinda goin through the same thing for when i get out of college in a few years. Is it worth it to put a ton of money into the car so i can't sell it later? If you plan on having the car a long time, have fun with it.
    sigpic

Comment

first you'll need a manual tranny and axles...

also you'll need the clutch & brake pedal assemblies.
      also the master cylinder and required brake lines, and probably and ecu & harness.

i might have forgotten some little things, but off the top of my head, thats what i can come up with.

as for price, just depends on how cheap you can get the neccessary items.
      Almost there

jdm tails... check
      jdm bumper... check
      ms lip... check
      ms grill... check
      ms sideskirts... check
      ms rear skirts... check
      ms spoiler... check
      ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
      Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

bump
        **SOLD**
        Now in a 02 Focus ZX3

Comment

oh yeah, maybe a center console, shift knob, shifter, shift linkage, hardware.

make sure your pedals are from a 96. mazda made changes from year to year.
          Almost there

jdm tails... check
          jdm bumper... check
          ms lip... check
          ms grill... check
          ms sideskirts... check
          ms rear skirts... check
          ms spoiler... check
          ms struts... check

Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

ok, thanks for your help. I just gotta start getting money 2gether and hopefully thiis summer the pro can go through its over-haul.
            **SOLD**
            Now in a 02 Focus ZX3

Comment

and instead of rebuilding the z5, it'll cost you just as much money to swap in a bp.
              just my 2cents.
              Almost there

jdm tails... check
              jdm bumper... check
              ms lip... check
              ms grill... check
              ms sideskirts... check
              ms rear skirts... check
              ms spoiler... check
              ms struts... check

Comment

Originally posted by 95pro View Post
                and instead of rebuilding the z5, it'll cost you just as much money to swap in a bp.
                just my 2cents.
                The BP is the 2nd gens 1.8L right? What is it like 123hp or somethin like that, idk maybe if i found a used one with not bad millage, but i still havent gotten any estimates on the rebuild for the Z5.
                Last edited by 96ProDX; 01-16-2007, 11:34 AM.
                **SOLD**
                Now in a 02 Focus ZX3

Comment

no the bp is mazda's 1.8L engine. used from the 1990 protege to the 2005 miata.
                  they're just different variations of the 1.8L bp.

edit*
                  IF you really want to rebuild the z5, i would invest in tools(if you haven't), and pull the engine your self. take it mostly apart, except for the head and block. take the block and head to the shop, and let the experts rebuild those two parts.

the rest can be finished up by you.
                  Last edited by 95pro; 01-16-2007, 12:40 PM.
                  Almost there

jdm tails... check
                  jdm bumper... check
                  ms lip... check
                  ms grill... check
                  ms sideskirts... check
                  ms rear skirts... check
                  ms spoiler... check
                  ms struts... check

Comment

Originally posted by 95pro View Post
                    no the bp is mazda's 1.8L engine. used from the 1990 protege to the 2005 miata.
                    they're just different variations of the 1.8L bp.

edit*
                    IF you really want to rebuild the z5, i would invest in tools(if you haven't), and pull the engine your self. take it mostly apart, except for the head and block. take the block and head to the shop, and let the experts rebuild those two parts.

the rest can be finished up by you.
                    yea, thats where a friend of mine comes real handy, his dad owns a shop and they have like every damn took u ever need so thats what we would do, and they can pull it out. So thats prob what i was going 2 do anyways.
                    **SOLD**
                    Now in a 02 Focus ZX3

Comment

Working...
                    X