X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low compression

1995 protege 1.5
    179000 miles

i have had my car in the shop for multiple 4th cylinder misfires. then to temporarily solve that i think he just put some oil in the cylinder itself. i had it in again for a compression test and he said that i had low compression. cylinder 1, 2, and 3 had a compression of about 110 psi. and the 4th had only 80psi. so he basically told me the easiest way to fix this is to get a new engine. but i think hes just full of **** in that one. does anyone have and ideas on what could be causing this low compression?? i know this car has a little more life in it.

p.s. my mechanic also put in a new valve in the 4th cylinder but it didnt seem to make much of a difference...

He's not exaggerating. I hate to break the news to you but that is the cheapest way to fix your problem. I would sell you one I have but you're too far so shipping would make it too expensive. Look around your area for one.

Comment

do you think a new head gasket and piston rings would help make it a little better?

Comment

That's a good possibility in the average car, however, the 2nd gens suffer from bad valve springs that need to be replaced. I have no way of knowing if your valve springs are bad AND the piston rings and gasket as well. I strongly suggest, while logged in, that you use the SEARCH box. Also check the lower right of the search section and choose to narrow your search to ONLY the 2nd gen section. Use terms like valve and springs or compression, etc. Try a couple of cominations with one or two words max.
        Last edited by mannydingo; 03-22-2007, 11:13 PM.

Comment

yeah i found an engine with 124000 on it for only 450 dollars. now the only question i have is how long would and engine swap take?

Comment

Couldn't tell you. I've only taken an engine out and I had an engine hoist. It was a few hours but putting it in must be a nightmare--a nightmare I don't want to attempt. I might have a few years ago but not now. Now it's time to hear how easy it was for the many able-bodied guys here.

Comment

Working...
            X