• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speedyking000 View Post
    is there a jdm bp?

yes.
    Originally posted by speedyking000 View Post
    and will the u.s ecu and harness work with a jdm bp?

no.

why would you want a jdm bp anyway? there's no benefit.
    Almost there

jdm tails... check
    jdm bumper... check
    ms lip... check
    ms grill... check
    ms sideskirts... check
    ms rear skirts... check
    ms spoiler... check
    ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
    Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

the miles

if its imported then its guarented to me to have less than 50k miles if its from a place here the miles vary and they vary alot so thats why i asked. so when replacing the ecu can i plug all the wires except the engine wire to the new ecu or will i need to completely rewire the car?

Comment

I dont know about you guys in the us but my jdm bp with jdm ecu didnt run with 95octane and i have to use 98octane only so that the detonation sensor wouldnt pick anything up and run the safe map. sometimes the 98octane, depends on where i buy, wasnt enaugh and i had to drive like 500km-s with a safe map and with 60mph top speed.
        But the engine is better and some places say it has a higher compression ratio.
        Since i got mine cheaper than the regular bp i went this way and bought jdm with 13k on the clock. Now i can use j-spec performance parts like bee-r ecu etc also.
        IvarR

Comment

okay heres a good question, will the 2.5v6 w/5spd from japan bolt in my protege, the engine comes with ecu and complete harness. it will cost 500-6000 dollars to buy and ship to state side. i think the tranyy is awd mtx 5spd..
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2520103
          Pardon Tigers Looks But Shes, Gorgeous in my eyes.
          5spd Out of a 1993 Mazda 323 LX
          Stock Dohc 1.8 (BPO5-8-1)
          Stock Flywheel off a 1993 Mazda 323 LX
          Stock Clutch kit off a 1993 Mazda MX3 SOHC 1.8(??)

Comment

I don't know of any KL powered AWD cars.

Comment

zup club members

i'm what you call a NOOB bout cars. but i do know one thing, i love my protege. its a 1995 protege. i'm not into the racing world but i do want to swap my engine to a better one(coz 1.5L suck ass on up hills). dont get me wrong, i did read all postings here but i dont understand a few things..

when you talk about engine swaps with 1.8L, is that a newer gen. engine or coming out out the 1st gen?

are all 95 protege DOHC?

(for people in US) is this even legal?

what is the engine swap law?

i do have a '95 1.5L protege 5speed, is it automatically a Z5-DE DOHC?

sorry for the long post. i dnt want to race my car, i just want it to be better and last long.

Comment

Engine and Tranny swap!

1) Is there a 4X4 or AWD manuel tranny from a kia or any car for that matter that will fit in my 97 protege DX?

2) What is the highest power engine that could fit in the same car with that tranny?

Appreciate the help guys. I'm trying to build a beast out of 97 protege. A lot of you might ask why. Well I love my car. Thats how simple it is. And for thosewho want to see it, when its done I'm taking before and after pics to post.

Your truly,

Dr_Feelgood

Comment

i have a 97 LX and ive swapped 5.0s and know how easy it can be and basically, rip the engine out like any other swap. use the harness and ecu for the engine youre swapping in, mate it to either a G or F series tranny. and from what i gather (and you can find this in your owners manual) its a direct fit the only variant is the metal tab on either the front or back labeling for a 1.5 or 1.8, this is all pretty straight forward (if im wrong let me know). but finding a reasonably priced lower milage bp is hard to come accross here in binghamton ny. jys around here dont have crap. im not trying to drop thousands of dollars im a backyard mechanic and doing this all myself, i want to do this on a tight budget (i have a daughter and its my only option right now) any help would be appriciated. i see there are BPs out of other makes and models other than the 95-99 ES are these better models a direct drop in aswell?

and as for jaye84s questions, its the same 2nd gen. so long as you can pass emmisions its legal(based on year odb) yes the US 95 to 99s 1.5s are Z5DE and DOHC. unless its a japanese motor(and only avalible in japan) it could then be a B5. and ferther more with the few basic mods i have done to my Z5 i have no trouble getting up hills unless youre trying to do a 0 to 100 pull up a steep incline. maybe try keeping it in a lower gear using your power band to keep it in optimal hp and tq range they breathe fine at higher rpms.

and Dr. Feelgood if you have the money they have a japanese kit to make it 1.8 Turboed intercooled awd that came in the protege over there and i believe its a 6spd man tranny with it. but from what i understand its 1st gen BPT if i find the site again ill let you know, but i do know there is one

Comment

For clarification issues:

i've read the whole thread in the last couple hours and still have a few questions,

1. I know the G-series trans is stonger, with different ratios, the F-series is weaker. But do they both come in a manual trans set up?

2. If the G-series comes in a manual, where can i pick one up? what year model/trim car would i need to salvage it from?

3. What about a standalone ecu? Although expensive, wouldn't it get around the wiring harness ecu match up issues?

4. Turbo set up for the Z5, is it possible? plausible? something worth doing?
                    sigpic

Comment

Here's another question. If you plan to do tuning on a BP 2nd gen, naturally aspired, with better camshafts, valves, clutch, flywheel, pistons, better crankshaft and all other major and minor things, so it will basically deliver around 160-190, maybe 200 hp max, will the F-tranny withstand that? Also at the moment I have a Z5 with F25M-R, so it's an F-series - can I keep that for BP engine or there's another F-series tranny for a BP? I never wanted anything brutal for a daily driver, but I want something to floor it everytime I want to, so around 180 hp is my goal in future. What's the experts opinion?

Thanks!
                      Garage: Mazda Protege 1995, Z5 engine, MTX, P/S, no A/C, no ABS.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Comment

i hope this isnt a dumb question but i wanted to ask can you use the z5 tranny on the bp engine?

Comment

Originally posted by ziaplayboy View Post
                          i have heard in the pasted that there is a 2.2L engine that could fit in the second gen pro's, is this true??
                          i dont know if that engine would fit but if you think u can get it in there i say go for it!!! i have had alot of experience with that engine. It comes in the mazda 626 GT and mx-6 GT and it has like 145 hp 190 pounds tq. the engine was pretty damn qiuck in my 92 mx-6 gt and im pretty sure it would hall ass if it were put into a protege(since the protege weighs 900 pounds less). but if u are goin down that path i would suggest u go with the fe3 engine(engine that came in mazda 626 and mx-6 in japan). it pretty much a dohc version of the f2 and although its a n/a engine it still slightly more powerful than the f2 turbo. Also turbo fe3's produce massive amounts of horsepower like 300+!!!!!!

Comment

hey their everyone, i need sum help i have a mazda gtr engine that i would like to put in my 1995 fimalia the only trouble i am having is with the wireing. i have the full engine harnis and ecu but its the two plugs for the dash cluster wireing nd the rest of the electrics. the gtr ones are small and long wher as my 95 ones ar sort and fat can anyone help me with this problem????

Comment

Question:

The GTR has the long snout crank...right? The early EGT engines have the short snout...right? What year did they go to the long snout on the EGT engines?

From my Friend Tom in Akron.

I thought this group could answer this quicker than Yahoo groups.

Thanks Guys!

David
                              sigpic Ky

Comment

alright, i've read a lot about swapping in engines from other models, and same models. the advice i hear the most is get the engine from the same year of your car. i'm just curious as to what the huge difference between say a 96 and a 97/98 would be wiring wise. I'm not to bad with wiring things and have Patience, just wondering what is so different that people suggest not even bothering with it
                                sigpic
                                96 protege dx - gone :'(
                                94 Mustang Gt - Became one with a deer
                                02 dodge 1500 - CAI, random aftermarket exhaust
                                95 protege dx - now derivable, my new project

Originally posted by firelizard
                                I'm going to go take a bath in $10 bills after my mom makes me a PB&J.
                                Me: just wondering if that was a 2500 and if it was a diesel
                                Class mate 1: it wasn't mine, but i think it mighta been a 1 ton and ya it was a diesel
                                Class mate 2: no way, that truck was way to big to be a 1 ton...

Comment

Working...
                                X