Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need opinions on a engine 'howl' sound...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need opinions on a engine 'howl' sound...

coming from the top of my engine, when I asked the parts person at the mazda dealership they told me it's the timing belt gears, the timing belt was replaced 10k miles ago but am concerned now, they also said that if it howls all the time the gear will loose the belt and then you can ruin your engine, basically the belt will loose from the teeth of the gears. Let me give you details of what happens...

It only happens in idle or pressing the throttle a little bit say up to 2,000 rpms, after that it goes away, after 2nd gear it goes away, only like when I stop at a stop sign and bearly hit the throttle do I hear it, it doesn't sound like a squeel, with brand new Mazda belts I put on, adjusted them tight they are fine. The howl sounds like the car is sick and the only way I can have you all hear it is by recording it in audio and putting it on this forum if it can be done but I was just asking if anyone knew the specs on if the timing belt gears do this over 144,000 miles that I have on the car. It's not that bad but still perhaps the previous owners just wanted to change the timing belt but not concerned for other parts like the idler pulley, seals, cams/gears that might needed to be replaced at the 120k mile maintenance. Any help? Do I need to be worried for driving my daily driver or is it ok for now? The howl only does it for a little bit and goes away, basically when the timing belt is activating at low rpms I know but still curious as the knowledge out there of other people having this same problem in the past and what they've done. Thanks alot!!

Todd

I would check the tensioner spring and idler pulleys. Thats what sounds like what could be wrong.
    Mx3 RS,BP-turbo
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805

Comment

Is that easy to get to or does it require alot of work? I still haven't bought the service manual ($100) from the dealer or cheaper from ebay. Some day before my 160k maintenance I'll probably replace the timing belt/tensioner and idler pulley then if it can last till then or maybe if the engine won't last that long then replace it before then. thanks for your advice!

Comment

I know there is a online workshop manual here in this forum but not sure where
        Mx3 RS,BP-turbo

Comment

I know there is a online workshop manual here in this forum but not sure where

Here it is

Mx3 RS,BP-turbo

Comment

Thank you!!, is the 96 much different than the 92 which this link shows?

Comment

Im not a 100 percent sure but it will give you a good idea for now. Someone might have a pdf on your model.
              Mx3 RS,BP-turbo

Comment

That will help tremendously, thank you!!

Comment

But have you and anyone else heard about this issue happening and if it's good/bad/or what? Should I drive the car at all with this howling sound?? What do you recommend besides tearing down the engine?

Comment

The most I could seeing going wrong is the idler pulley seizing up, and burning threw the timing belt. Most timing belt kits come with new pulleys and tension spring.
                    Mx3 RS,BP-turbo

Comment

yeah but really, when I replaced the valve cover gasket I was able to see and take pics of the timing belt and gears and it looks clean and new, no imperfections in the belt, weird if it's not what you say could it be the gears getting old and not be the idler pulley burning?

Comment

are there any other opinions from other people who have had any experiences in this matter?

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by 96mazdaproteglx View Post
                          are there any other opinions from other people who have had any experiences in this matter?

Thank you!
                          Only that our engines are non-interference. That means that if the timing belt breaks, the pistons do not touch the valves. That Mazda dealership must need the business bad to tell you it will get damaged. It may not be impossible but it isn't going to happen.

Comment

Working...
                          X