A/C shuts engine off!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C shuts engine off!!

Hi, I have a 1995 Protege, and starting just recently, whenever I turn on the A/C, I hear a whooshing noise and then the engine stalls to a shutdown. Anyone have an idea what to do?? Thanks.

Originally posted by triforce85 View Post
    Hi, I have a 1995 Protege, and starting just recently, whenever I turn on the A/C, I hear a whooshing noise and then the engine stalls to a shutdown. Anyone have an idea what to do?? Thanks.
    sounds like the A/C compressoris shot and is seizing up and stalling your motor.
    Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

Mine seized. Started with an awful noise that I ignored for 3 weeks followed by a nasty odor and smoke. I just cut the belt. Anyone have any idea what size belt I would need for the power steering if I bypass the air? (mine's a '97)
      Please sponsor me for the American diabetes association Tour de Cure.
      http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...383&px=3361088
      together, we can find a cure for Diabetes!!!!

Comment

just get the belt for your setup without a/c.
        No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

for some reason it's not listed in the computer at my local auto parts store. I could measure it, but I really don't feel like it.

Comment

just cut the belt, and staple it back together.
            Next!
            sigpic

Comment

Sndcastle7... the belt you need is 350K4 4PK0890 4 CAN x 88.9

my a/c also seized and i dont have the money to fix it. i was driving without power steering, but now that my girl is also using the car i figured i would at least fix the power steering. just finish it right now. it was a tight fit but thats the belt you need.
              check it out...
              http://www.yarilswork.com/

Comment

thanks. I actually already got the belt, but haven't had a chance to install it. I was going to do it when the Alternator went, but it was raining and I just wanted to be done. then everything else went to crap. Had to do the ball joints, and a CV shaft (thanks to my fiancee forgetting my advice the her first time driving a manual) and then on my way to get an alignment the right front caliper locked up so I had to do a complete front brake job in a parking lot. that's when I noticed the trans had started leaking. (my fault, I damaged a seal replacing the CV shaft after being up more than 48 hours straight) so after I finished the brakes, it went to the trans shop, then for an alignment where it currently sits do to complications not under anyone's control and awaiting a part from the dealer that will arive Tuesday. Maybe after I'm done being pissed off about the whole mess I'll finally get around to putting that belt on. As it is I've put over $1000 into the car in the last 4 months. Other than the radiator (which at 128K miles I can not complain, especially considering it survived a pretty good accident a year or so before) and the alternator (at 130k, really can't complain) it's pretty much maintenance. Axles, steering/suspension parts are wear items that we all expect to have to replace. though it adds to the cost, it's better when much of it goes at the same time since much of it has to be taken apart to replace any given part anyway. Brakes are also something one expects to replace. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining about the car because it isn't the car's fault that it now has 134k miles on it and things are starting to wear out. I'm just upset that I just started nursing school and cut my hours at work so this is kinda cutting into the little bit of savings I have. Timing is funny. I suppose it's good that it happened now while I have the money, not half way through school when things will be a bit tighter. In 2 years, the Protege will have served it's purpose. I bought it almost 3 years ago to get me through school. After that, I plan on keeping it, but I might pass it on to my brother. My plan is to buy myself a new Mazda 6 about 6 months after I graduate.

Comment

wow, sorry to hear about all that. guess it wont make ya feel better to know that i bought my car for 1400 and has only needed minimal maintenance. the thermostat and fan clutch, valve cover gasket and as i put the belt for PS the Alternator belt fell apart, so i changed that one too. oh and while under the car i made a rubber sleeve for one of the shifter lever connectors. now the shifter is firm.

i did replace shocks, springs and strut bearings. so i might have almost 2K into the car and it has 140,000 miles. not bad.
                  check it out...
                  http://www.yarilswork.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X