Engine turns off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine turns off

My protege 98 automatic is turning off when I stop in in a stop light or something like that. Waht Im doing is shifting to N before the cars stopes completely so it stays on. What can I do to fix it?
    Last edited by jorgepinzon; 09-04-2007, 10:55 PM.

When you first turn it on and idle in park, does it stay on? Also, when you shift into reverse and have to wait to back out, does it die? Or is it only after you have been driving and are in drive?

Comment

First of all, thanks for the reply. Ok, when I turn it on and idle in park it stays on, then I shift into reverse and it works perfect. The problem is just when I'm driving it.

Comment

It might be your IAC (idle air control) valve. It was pretty pricey on autozone's website. However, it is still cheaper than transmission work.

How does it die? Does it seem like the engine isn't getting enough air? (a sputtering death) or does it seem like it stays in gear as you brake and the engine stalls because it is being stopped from rotating?

Comment

Thanks again Pureliquidhw, I just sold my car like it was, so that's all for now!
          Thanks a lot.

Comment

Crap, you didn't even check for a broken air intake hose. Whatever it was, it sounds very correctable. Well, it's sold so just move on.

Comment

Working...
            X