Another Very Slow Acceleration Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Very Slow Acceleration Problem

I have a '98 with auto trans. 180,600 mi. Water pump started leaking, so I had the timing belt and water pump replaced by my nephew. When I got it back it was acceleration was VERY slow, it was never a speed racer, but this was bad. I combed through the forums here and at Mazda3club.com and tried some ideas I found. I replaced the fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator and fuel rail. This improved the idle, it was very rough and almost stalled. Now it will start and idle fine and acceleration after about 8-10 mph (no tach) is better than it was. Starting out or pulling across a busy intersection is scary. It seems if slow even pressure on the gas pedal gives better, although slow acceleration.

Where do I go now? CEL has not come on, it was on before all of this work. Vacuum lines look OK, I don't know how to test them and I didn't see any cracks.

Please let mw know what you guys think.

Thanks,

The first thing that comes to mind is that he installed the water pump fine and the belt is on ok but that the timing was not done correctly: the timing marks were not aligned correctly as the new belt was put on. It may just be a notch or two off. It's just an educated guess but still only a guess. Someone with better knowledge may want to give it a whirl.

Comment

There was a problem with the timing initially and he talked to a professional mechanic who helped him get it right, but maybe they didn't . . .

Is there anyway to check the timing with out taking the covers off and looking at the timing belt? I remember using a timing light back when timing was adjusted with the distributor. If I remember correctly there was a little gage next to the distributor. Is using a timing light still a viable option for checking timing on newer cars?

Comment

I don't think that works out with this car. I could be wrong but I don't think you can adjust it enough with the distributor. If you can, the problem would have to be less problematic than what you're having.

Comment

Working...
        X