Timing BelT (SQUEKKKK!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing BelT (SQUEKKKK!!)

Hey whats up evryone just tryin to prebent a real problem. evry time I turn on my car after 3-4 hours I can hear the belt squek ( High pitched ) but after 5-10 secs it stops before it used to happen when it rained but now its evryday can anyone let me know what i can do, is changing the belt easier than a 91 Honda Accord from the looks i think its just a matter o adjusting the alternator to loose up the belt but thats just me, this is my around town car but wanna keep it going 96 Pro 1.5 z5 160k miles
    oh if there are any recommendations on how i can make this car perform a little better without spending to much 500 to 1000 sounds good.
    n thanks catch yall LVIIIR

Engine performance or handling? 1000 can get quite a bit depending on what your trying to do. The drive belts are most likely the cause of the squealing. The usual response to your question is the a/c compressor may be out (if you have one) and it loves to squeal as it goes out I hear. Possibly your alternator belt (drive belt). Check the deflection like 5-7 degree deflection supposedly. Recently installed new drive belts on my z5 and the a/c compressor squealed because it was "to loose" Going to have the stealership check the deflection of the belts but.......haven't made it in yet. LOL
    sigpic

Comment

You might try just adjusting the tensioner. I had a squeal during the winter at one point and just tightening it up some solved that issue.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KIng View Post
        Hey whats up evryone just tryin to prebent a real problem. evry time I turn on my car after 3-4 hours I can hear the belt squek ( High pitched ) but after 5-10 secs it stops before it used to happen when it rained but now its evryday can anyone let me know what i can do, is changing the belt easier than a 91 Honda Accord from the looks i think its just a matter o adjusting the alternator to loose up the belt but thats just me, this is my around town car but wanna keep it going 96 Pro 1.5 z5 160k miles
        oh if there are any recommendations on how i can make this car perform a little better without spending to much 500 to 1000 sounds good.
        n thanks catch yall LVIIIR
        The thing you are talking about is probably connected with DRIVE belt, not the timing belt. Timing belt is either a chain or rubber band with teeths that sit in precise position. Slipping timing belt can lead to messing up the ignition timining, compression and so on ... AFAIK the timing belt cannot squeek constantly (which means that it revolves quicker than the pulleys) coz if it does the car would run abnormally and the timing between the camshaft(s) and pistons would vary each second. That would be like reverse pedalling on a bicycle in order to keep the velocity or increase it. From my point of view it is practically impossible to have a squeeking timing belt. In that cas the car would stall in a zap.
        Garage: Mazda Protege 1995, Z5 engine, MTX, P/S, no A/C, no ABS.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Comment

Forgot to add: as squeekster1 posted, squeeking can also occur when the year's seasons change ... Lemme put it simple: my drive belt also squeeks for a couple of days when it gets a little colder during the night, but afternoon temperature are, let's say, normal (20-25 C), and the car sits in cold garage for the whole night. The materials stretch and shrink and we all know that but sometimes we just don't pay the attention.

Another way of dealing with the problem is to lubricate the drive belt with a bit of solid soap. But there's no guarantee that this method will prevent the belt from slipping... it only mutes the annoying squeeking.
          Garage: Mazda Protege 1995, Z5 engine, MTX, P/S, no A/C, no ABS.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Comment

Originally posted by KIng View Post
            Intake, exhaust, swaybar, strut tower bar, short shifter, grounding kit, proper maintenance.

Timing belt squeaking = wtf??
            Timing belts have teeth on them.

I think you mean alternator belt, which makes perfect sense. Tighten it down.

Comment

Working...
            X