Where to find a BP-ZE or BP-T to fit a 97 ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to find a BP-ZE or BP-T to fit a 97 ES

Hello. I recently purchased a 1997 Mazda Protege ES. First I must say I love it. It's my first car. Not exactly what I wanted (tried to get my hands on a 240sx but man the rust!) but I love it. I'm going to name it brody and when I register it tomorrow I'm going to order custom plates.

However, being a young fellow, I of course want to mod the crap out of my car. Now I've done my research and the ES trim level of the 97 used the BP variant of the B series of engines. Lower compression ratio, and lacks some other bells and whistles that it's cousin the BP-ZE has. Now I'm wondering where I can find a BP-ZE, preferably with 100k miles or less. See I got Brody at 192,800 and while the body is great, I don't want to run the risk of putting money into an engine with that many miles on it. When I replace the engine, I'll most likely replace the tranny too. Now here are my questions.

1) I'm not too familiar with the transmission types between the mazdas. Apparently the G series has more strength than the F series and is better at handling higher hp. What specifically is the difference between them. I've searched high and low on the forums for a satisfactory explanation and have yet to find one.

2) As mentioned before, I did my homework on the BP engine. I want to "pimp out" my mazda but nothing as drastic as those KLDE swaps i've seen on the forums. I figure I'll stick to the same engine. With that in mind the BP in the ES apparently is not the BP-ZE found in the other protege trim levels. They used a cast vs a forged crank on the BP and the BP-ZE had oil squirter and a variable length manifold (which apparently wasn't too popular) either way, the BP-ZE is a bit hardier and better for tuning than the BP. They threw the BP-ZE in the miatas and the other trims of the protege. If I couldn't find a protege that would fit, could I jack the BP-ZE out of a miata?

3) On the off chance I want myself a BP-T (turboed variant of the BP-ZE) where can I find them and would it be worth it? I know they didn't sell them in the states (why do we always get the crappy foreign engines?) and they are almost always imported, but is there really any difference between them and the BP-ZE with possibly and aftermarket turbo kit?

I might post more questions as I think of them but that's all mostly.

I failed to mention I intended on swapping and selling the 192k BP anyway. I just wouldn't want a motor with many miles over 200k. I drive alot (200-500 miles a week) and this isn't out of what I intended to do anyway.

Comment

well you can get a bp-t package here with everything:

pretty nice short ram intake here:
      Last edited by rickjr1984; 12-03-2007, 03:40 PM.

Comment

a few things,
        #1 please take your location seriously. If you plan to view/post in the classifieds forum you will catch hell by the mods

#2 BP-de/ze: you've basically misled & confused the crap out of yourself.
        there is no such thing as BP-de & BP-ze in the protege's quite simply they are the same thing. so toss the idea out of your head. I highly reccomend if you plan to replace your BP that you install a BPT, however be advised that smog will force you to have your engine fine tuned(again don't know where you live)
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I live in Albany, NY. I just don't feel like having that info out for all to see.

Now to more questions. The BPT is only capable of being imported since there were no US models that had them. What different stuff am I going to have to worry about if I end up getting one as opposed to a domestic BP?

Comment

well it has lower compression, different manifolds/cams & a turbo. thats it. finding an ECU or standalone to control it are your next options. do a search for bpt swaps in 2nd gens.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
              a few things,
              #1 please take your location seriously. If you plan to view/post in the classifieds forum you will catch hell by the mods

Originally posted by Chosen_One View Post
              I live in Albany, NY. I just don't feel like having that info out for all to see.
              Hahha. You just put it out there for all to see.
              1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
              1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
              2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Ah but I can edit the post!! HA HA INGENIOUS THINKING FTW!!

Comment

such brotherly love in the air

Comment

You are from Albany, NY. You can't edit mine and Turpro's posts. :D
                    Garage: Mazda Protege 1995, Z5 engine, MTX, P/S, no A/C, no ABS.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Comment

Comment

Curse you bastards!!!

Anyhoo, I'm going to have to start my modding a little earlier than planned. My clutch is going. He's real soft and my mechanic friend said I need a new one. Earliest I can get him one is by the end of January, which is bad he says, cause winter is on it's way. However since I'm in the market (I want brand new) I was looking at some kits and I'm thinking I'm going to go hard and all the way or not at all. I was looking at this kit from ACT

This website is for sale! 1motormart.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, 1motormart.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

It's not the only place I can find that kit but it's the one I'd like to get (gotta love having an ES). It's perfect. I don't intend (even if I could) getting the torque past 250 and for him right now (his name is Brody).

Has anyone had experience with this clutch? If not are there kits for other vehicles that fit and are better?

Comment

im sure that clutch is way over kill for a stock bp and bpt

Comment

what a retarded clutch!!! buy a full faced spec clutch..... i reccomend the stage 3+, but id only buy it for a build with real power bpt minimum

Comment

Hmm thanks for the spec suggestion. Checked it out. Pretty sweet. I was just suggesting it because I'm not very good at holding onto money. I figure I need to replace the sucker now I might as well get a kick ass one now. But that 3+ I might just save for it.

Anyhoo thanks for your help. I think I'll just keep on browsing. Pics tomorrow in the appropriate forum!

Comment

Working...
                              X