No announcement yet.

We've been here; Downpipe for 1.5l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read this if your going to attempt to replace the o2 sensor with a resistor.

This 'looked' right but I didn't care to pay this much:

This is the DIY kit I used. I wired into the existing plug and wires from my o2 sensor:

apexr1.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, apexr1.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

-Tim

Comment

do any of these things help with the first o2? that is the on that has flatlined on me recently and i was wondering about doing this cheat with the front sensor or if i should just replace that one
      In the Garage
      Black 93 MX-3 GS
      Bp powered
      GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
      MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

no, you need that to run the engine, its part of the fuel injection system. basically the o2 sensor signals the fuel processor when to add or reduce my fuel (as air is constant, the system has the compensate for air density/quantity by adjusting fuel mixture)

if you pull the first o2 sensor, your system will probably kick back into closed loop as soon as it enters open loop.

Comment

Just got this in the mail:

Looks like I'm doing some wiring this weekend...and then no more 2nd o2 sensor.

Comment

So...I'm finished. If I get another cracked manifold, so help me, I'm selling this car.
            This is the second time I've replaced the exhaust manifold.
            The results of my modified header? I started the car up, no MIL, pull out and drive real easy to warm up. No obvious drawbacks yet.

Get out on the main street and wail on it as it goes into second.
            2k...nothing different
            3k...nothing
            4k...nothing, oh, wait is that,
            5k...hey that is a mild improvement
            6k..things feel...almost peppy

I shift into 3rd...

same results again...upper rpm improvement.

I'm digging it. I don't know how it would compare to a real header.
            If anything, this whole thing was worth it for the MIL eliminator for that second pesky, expensive, stupid O2 sensor.

We don't have smog testing here. Yet. It's starting mid to late 2005.
            When we do have to start smogging, I don't anticipate the absence of precat material to cause any problems.
            1. It's an invisible mod...looks stock as it did last week. Nothing to tip off the smog tech.
            2. The precat being so close to the primaries is designed to get hot quick. So the precat lights off and starts cleaning sooner after startup. I'll bet this was done to satisfy EPA emissions qualifications. But by the time I drive down to the emissions station, the main cat is nice and hot and hopefully doing it's job.

Comment

Where did you get the O2 mod from and how much was it...
              I need that mod.
              Bruce
              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

duh...one of the links three posts up:
                apexr1.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, apexr1.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

It says its for 99+ but it worked for my obd2 1998. If you're '95 and obd1...I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by davens

It says its for 99+ but it worked for my obd2 1998. If you're '95 and obd1...I dunno.
                  thank you much

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Here is your answer to your 1.5 downpipe issues.
                    It's made by Wagner Auto..

Why don't you guys, get him to make you a turbo.
                    One of you 1.5 guys, just front up the cash and get a turbo and manifold and downpipe made for your car.

-------
                    I have been contacting him about fabbing a turbo for my Protege.. may run a T28.
                    Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by davens

Is this still working for you? If so I'm ordering it as soon as possible, then work on eliminating the pre-cat. It's $25 now.

Sorry about bringing back a lot of old posts but I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel.
                      ED
                      '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
                      Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
                      WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

Working...
                      X