Cam Gears ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Gears ?

I have been doing a little research in the Mazda EPC and it appears as though
    the cam gear part number for 1.5 1.6 and 1.8 protege and 1.6 miata are all the same.
    If this is true then a set of adjustable gears for any one of those engines would fit any other?
    Powered by ACME

I doubt the z5 and b6 are compatible with the bp cam gears, but I haven't gotten that far. I plan on getting the toda ones once I can source them.
    95 ES
    05 S60R

Comment

Originally posted by goodorange View Post
      I doubt the z5 and b6 are compatible with the bp cam gears, but I haven't gotten that far. I plan on getting the toda ones once I can source them.
      B6s7-12-425a is the Mazda part number for cam gear(s) for :
      z5 sinlge ,1996 BP Protege,1993 Miata 1.6,1992 Protege DOHC,

Im pretty sure the 99 1.6 protege gears are the same as late z5 with dual gear.

Toda may be out of my range .What about SR ,are they decent?
      Powered by ACME

Comment

these? ->http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...hp?t=123706440

They look heavier than the toda or fidanza's, but I couldn't find any info on the metallurgy. I'm Assuming, it's stock anodized aluminum.

Unfortunately there are no timing marks, so what's really the point? It's adjustable but it's kind of guessing without indicators. Fidanza's are either painted or silk screened while the toda gears are machined in.
        95 ES
        05 S60R

Comment

Whats the best deal you have found?
          Powered by ACME

Comment

Fidanza has laser etched cam gears, i don't know if thats viewing, or if it has an actual adjustment notch etched in there.

i only found them for the 1.8 miata, didn't see any for the 1.6, 1.8 (pro) or the 1.5.

if you look on the product layout (spreadsheet) it says 1.8 90-03 except 98 :S and 1.8 protege 90-97 (i thought 97 and 98 pro's were the same...)

all had the same part #
            sigpic
            96 protege dx - gone :'(
            94 Mustang Gt - Became one with a deer
            02 dodge 1500 - CAI, random aftermarket exhaust
            95 protege dx - now derivable, my new project

Originally posted by firelizard
            I'm going to go take a bath in $10 bills after my mom makes me a PB&J.
            Me: just wondering if that was a 2500 and if it was a diesel
            Class mate 1: it wasn't mine, but i think it mighta been a 1 ton and ya it was a diesel
            Class mate 2: no way, that truck was way to big to be a 1 ton...

Comment

miatas should be the same but I dont' have manufacturers parts catalog. The laser etching is better than painted on degree markings but I like the piece of mind with machined in marks, additionally I like the adjustment on the inner ring of the todas as opposed to outside ring on the fid's.

some metallurgy:

Toda: 7075 is a zinc aluminum alloy with high fatigue and heat resistance, although more suceptable (sp?) to corrosion

Fidanza: 6061 is magnessium/silicon aluminum alloy which is commonly used in bike frames/components, able to be tig welded. Less heat resistant.

7075 I believe is lighter but I couldn't compare their densities without breaking out a dusty engineering book to do a conversion.

anywho. Todas are $339 at vividracing and fidanzas are around $225 from what I've seen
              95 ES
              05 S60R

Comment

Im lookin at Fidanza on ebay for $169 a set and a fidanza flywheel from the same people for $275