• Show
Clear All

Idle problems

1995 1.5
    A/T
    220,000 mi
    Recent TB/WP and tune-up.
    New fuel pump

Hey fellas, this problem has been going on for a while and even after all the new parts re-timing, swapped out a MAF, swapped out a complete dizzy, and fuel pump.

When it starts cold the idle goes up pretty high (guessing 2000-2500) and after about 30 secs. it starts to surge up and down like revvv-buh-revvvv-buh-revvvv-buh-revvv-buh. heheh sorry about the description.

Once it warms up ot stops the idle hunting/surging and just idles a bit high.
    I checked the intake boot and vacuum. maybe EGR? IAC valve??

Thanks a bunch!!!!!!

1997 1.6
    A/T
    130,000 kms.

I've been having the same problem too. When I start the car cold, idle goes up to about 1500 and stays there for a few seconds...then drops to about 1000 rpm...when i switch on the aircon...it drops suddenly to about 6-700 rpm and the car starts to shake. Once its fully warmed up though the shaking stops and idle is steady at about 7-800rpm. Could it be the A/C idle up? or the Servo?

Thanks,

Comment

Idle air control valve

Not exactly sure how mine failed but I think it's the idle air control valve. I've replaced all the above mentioned (a few times between two motors) and have heard of it before and went the other direction ($). Turns out this part is like 260 at their cheapest and over 400 on average. I almost brought my ride to the shop until I pulled the iac valve and cleaned off deb re and re-installed. seemed to be the only thing I've done (everything) that made a difference in idle, it is still jumps from high rpms to almost dying. Before this problem was minor but ever since I put in a new used motor it doesn't work. Haven't made the nasty purchase yet but will keep you posted.

(This is the reason I sought out the forum in the first place so I have scoured for years, could finally be the answer)

Some how for the longest time I thought the iac was in the air intake just past the maf!!!!!!!!! Man................
      sigpic

Comment

Double check the base idle and timing first.Be sure to put the car in base mode first before making adjustments.