P1450 and P0505 Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P1450 and P0505 Codes

Ok I have been chasing this one down for months. I have a 98 protege with 1.5. The codes are P1450 EVAP Control System Fault, and P0505 Idle Control System Malfunction. I have replaced, plugs, wires, distributer cap, all vacuum lines i could find, fuel filter, purge valve, vapor canister, idle air control module, and the cap is tight. Something still not right. These codes tend to be intermittent, and the car actually runs better when the check engine light is on. It's very wierd and very aggravating, somehow I think this whole problem is tied into why my brakes feel weaker than they should (I know the brakes are naturally wimpy). Some kind of vacuum leak or valve not working right I guess? Any help would be appreciated!

How does your car idle?

Have you tryed replacing the gas filler cap? tight doesn't mean the seal is good..

Any drive ability problems to go along with these codes?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycanadian View Post
      How does your car idle?

Have you tryed replacing the gas filler cap? tight doesn't mean the seal is good..

Any drive ability problems to go along with these codes?
      Haven't replaced the cap, but the seal looks ok. It idles rough still, though not as bad as it did. Overall driveability is good though once you start going, just idle sucks, and the brakes seem to get soft as the the engine gets closer to idle. Though replacing the idle control, pcv valve (and other valves) and all the vaccum lines helped with this problem alot.

Comment

I forgot to mention that the car when idling makes a kind of "popping/wooshing" sound, like its sucking air in somwhere, but I can find no leak in the intake system. This sound has gotten more and more frequent over the past year. Really makes me think I have a bad check valve or something lurking somewhere.

Comment

1450 Evap control system fault,check operation of Canister Drain Cut Valve and Tank Pressure Control Valve.

505 idle control system fault ,with sucking wooshing noise sounds like the base idle air screw is way out.Verify base idle and timing settings and check that the idle control valve responds to inputs such as headlamp,ac ,PS.
          Powered by ACME

Comment

Brakes feel weaker... Inspect the huge vacuum lines that go to the brake booster. It could be leaking and causing a Evap code
            I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
            |.....Overnight....................| ||
            |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
            |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
            "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
            Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerizfood View Post
              1450 Evap control system fault,check operation of Canister Drain Cut Valve and Tank Pressure Control Valve.

505 idle control system fault ,with sucking wooshing noise sounds like the base idle air screw is way out.Verify base idle and timing settings and check that the idle control valve responds to inputs such as headlamp,ac ,PS.
              What is the base idle suppossed to be? And as far as timing goes, how do I check that? I've never messed with them.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthericego View Post
                Brakes feel weaker... Inspect the huge vacuum lines that go to the brake booster. It could be leaking and causing a Evap code
                My booster and all my vacuum lines going to it are only a few months old, even the big one withthe check valve in it. PLus I clamped every vacuum line on both ends. :p

Comment

Originally posted by b_massey02 View Post
                  What is the base idle suppossed to be? And as far as timing goes, how do I check that? I've never messed with them.
                  To check them,warm the engine to opertating temp,ground the TEN pin at the underhood diagnostic connecter.Make sure all loads are off ie headlamps,blower motor,cooling fan,A/C etc.
                  Put a tach on it and check timing at the crank pulley with a timing light.
                  Adjust the idle air screw and distributor to get 9-11 degrees BTDC at 700 RPM (750 if you have auto trans )