Quick Question How To Replace Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Question How To Replace Alternator

I have a 1997 Protege LX with 1.5 liter engine and drum rear brakes. I have a new alternator to install, and I'm using my Haynes manual (which isn't exactly model specific, as it covers 323 and Protege models from 1990-2000).

The alternator is on the passenger side, at the bottom, back side of the engine.

What's the easiest way to get it out and the new one in? From above (it doesn't look like I can get it through--may have to remove some other part?)? From below?

The manual was not specific on this, and I thought someone could make it clear what was easiest. Thanks.

I joined here several years ago (last post in 2004) when I owned a '01 Protege...but sold it and went on to Volvo's (4th one now). Anyway, long story short, a friend of mine was given a '95 LX Protege and it needs the alternator replaced as well. Since I've gotten so I do timing belts, etc. on my Volvo's I thought this would be a cinch, but I'm also stuck like the first poster. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm back!
    MIJ

Comment

Alternator diagram

Will this help?
      Attached Files
      sigpic

Comment

Thank you very much!
        -David

Comment

Working...