Proto wont start, at all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proto wont start, at all.

well, im driving my winter car around now, (5 speed Saturn sl2). i didnt drive my Mazda in bout 5 days so i went up to were i keep it at and of course its like 25 degrees out but i tried starting it and it wouldn't start. The battery is literally 3 weeks old, it cranked great for a good half hour but juss wouldn't start. sooo i put jumper cables on it just to make sure it does die, and kept tryin and tryin for a good hour and a half, i put starting fluid in it with no help. Iv replaced juss 3 weeks ago the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, coolant temp sensor, fresh oil, fuel filter,dry gas, filled the tank with good gas(where i usually get my gas at) new fuel pump bout 2 months ago, new mass air flow about 4 months ago,cone air filter is good on it, water pump and fresh antifreeze bout 5 months ago. so i have nooo clue why it wont start, i checked all the fuses but nothing is working, i took the hose off where the gas is on the fuel rail and it had pressure so i know its getting gas cuz i hear the pump turn on to. any ideas?

bump

Comment

possibly some water in the gas lines? froze up, causing not enough fuel to come through? Probably not, as you say there's pressure at the rail.

You've got fuel, so you need to have spark. Did you check to see if you're getting spark at the plugs? Maybe the cold caused a crack in the distributor, or in the coil, breaking the windings? condensation somewhere end up freezing and pushing the coil wire off of the coil?

double check for spark, at the plugs. If yes, then you're in for some work, possibly. If no, then check at the coil. If yes, then it's the coil wire, or the distributor (rotor? cap?). If no, then it's something along the lines of the igniter or the ECU.

Good luck, I hope this helped a bit...

--sarge

Comment

ok well if i out a spark plug on the end of one of the boots and theres no spark when i ground of off metal does that mean the crank sensors bad? And what if there IS spark, then what?

Comment

If there IS spark at the plugs, and ther IS fuel at the injectors, then the only way for there to not be combustion is if there is no air to ignite inside the cylinder.

But back up... you tested for pressure at the fuel rail. Try a stethescope (or long screwdriver) to listen to the injectors, to make sure they're actually actuating.

No injectorsworking = fuse, relay, wiring, or ECU problem..

Maybe the cold made a wire get brittle, and it snapped...

Comment

ok well i went up today and tried starting it with no luck, i took each plug out and seen if it sparked and yes there was spark, n there was fuel on the plugs... hears the weird thing, the car turns really fast and sounds like its going to start for maybe 20 seconds and then juss turns really fast, i wait about 5 mins and do it again, same thing. After all that it doesn't even wana try and fire until the battery is turning realllly slow n itll catch up and try to start but wont, so i wait another 5 mins and the batter is almost dead but not dead enough and it almost starts but then battery dies, so i jump it and tried it with the jumper cables on my saturn. Now when the cables r on the car turns reallly fast but it doesnt wana try and start until the cables r off and i repeat the steps b4. I tried 3 batterys and nothing helped. im sooo confused?

Comment

Uusually fast cranking means the valve timing is out,ie the timing belt has jumped.
              However trying to start it like you have for so long may have washed the oil off the inside of the cylinders which reduces compression and makes for less cranking resistance from the engine resulting in a faster cranking speed.If the plugs are soaked they should be removed and dried or replaced.Only use NGK copper core (oem) plugs in it.How many miles are on the engine? The Z5 uses shims on the cam lobes for adjustment which require inspection and if neccesary replacement.If the valve clearance is out of spec the engine may not start ,more so when its cold.
              Powered by ACME

Comment

Thats the thing, a month ago when i parked the car i got a cv axle put on and the timing was perfect and the belts good, so i made him see if the lifters were out of adjustment and he said no there almost perfect with the specs. i changed the oil i think a week b4 i parked it, 5/30 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by johnMZ24 View Post
                  Thats the thing, a month ago when i parked the car i got a cv axle put on and the timing was perfect and the belts good, so i made him see if the lifters were out of adjustment and he said no there almost perfect with the specs. i changed the oil i think a week b4 i parked it, 5/30 oil.
                  So assuming the valve clearance is within spec as reported by your tech and you are getting fuel and have spark and the valve timing is good then you have no compression.I find it hard to believe that your piston rings are that bad that the compression is so low- it wont run .
                  What plugs are in it?Is the spark good and strong?Do you have an engine light on?If so what codes are in it?Is the fuel pressure at spec?
                  I suspect you have injector pulse as the plugs are getting wet.
                  Next time you have the plugs out put a little engine oil down the holes to build compression ,dry the plugs and retry it.DONT PUT TOO MUCH OIL IN OR YOU WILL HYDRALOCK THE ENGINE.A few tablespoons per hole and crank her over a little before putting the plugs back in .Put rags over the valve cover to stop oil from spraying all over the place.