5th Gear Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5th Gear Problem

Hi I have a 96 mazda protege 1.8L 5spd, the problem is if i shift into 5th gear and let go it pops out, if i hold it in it'll stay in 5th but you can feel something like hitting the shifter over and over again. Anyone know what this may be?
    1996 Mazda Protege es 1.8L DOHC (current project)

I am having the same problem but my car is 1.5 Liter with an F25MR transmission.
    Have you been able to resolve this problem? I been thinking that maybe the synchros are worn on 5th and Reverse.

Let me know your results Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GigioMX5 View Post
      Have you been able to resolve this problem?
      Seeing how he has one post,this one, and it was made back on 1-20-2010 is say he hasn't come back to clubprotege.

Comment

check your motor mounts . specifically the rear mount

Comment

Its a brand new Anchor for Manual Tranny and tought about it too. My concern is the crosmember does not hold the bushings tight maybe need to replace them first. I also notice that there is an aligment square washer on the rear mount bolt.
          Does it have to be align in a specific direction?

Thanks!

Comment

try coasting above 10mph and just put it in neutral but move it all the way to the right between reverse and 5th. do you hear the knocking and feel it in the shifter ? when 8 out of the 11 diffs i have had fail went out i felt this right before. it ended up being the diff pin hitting hitting the shift selector inside the trans.
            i know its a piece of crap... but im still faster...

Comment

Working...
            X