Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.8 ? or 2.0 ?

ok i have a 98 dx 1.5 5spd

and i found a 99 1.8 in a local scrap yard..now my problem is i want to swap to an OBD2 2.0 FS now im told i can only pull them out of an 01-03 protege and would like this swap just because of the aftermarket options.. I currently dont have 4 grand to dump on a brand new fully built 2.0.. so im left with a used swap.. what do you guys think?

2.0L in a 98? Go for it, if you can find one. I read on a site that our cars came with a 2.0L in Japan, but never in the States, so it's not impossible. I'm a fan of having something different that not many people have so this is just my opinion.

Comment

Didn't have a 2.0 in Japan either.

An FS swap has been done though.

Also, the BJ 1.8 isn't a BP, it's an FP-DE, a destroked FS.

Comment

the FS isnt worth the work of swapping too in all truth. pretty much any other mazda motor would be a better option. hell, even a sohc f2t swap would make a crap loads more power.
        ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
        ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
        What are you driving?

Comment

I've driven the 1.8 L and I own a 2.0 L. I think you'll like the extra torque and HP of the larger engine.

Happy Motoring!
          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

My bad on the crappy info.

Comment

yeah i had a 2.0 in my 93' 626 just the gears were too long for my liking

Comment

Mounts will definitely be a problem.
                1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

well the idea its self came from a tech at my local mazda dealership. he said its a easy swap (2.0) and its most likley the better swap .. just because of the aftermarket .. i asked him about the mounts he never really said anything about them

Comment

just know that it can be had. but also know that the level of skill, and effort and absolutely money play a part. I hear okay things about the 2.0 FS, might as well get the MSP motor or buy a turbo. just remember to swap out the Con Rods. Sounds like a cool idea, just not much first hand experience we can give you with this swap. if you are competent with metal fabrication then you are going to have it that much easier. if not, that wad of cash you have will play its part. make sure you run the total budget before buying parts, set up a list of parts and/or things you want to accomplish. its mainly the big things that cost the most but like i said about the whole fabrication deal, money will play a part. plan plan plan and then set out to get it done. Best of luck man, really i can't wait to see the finished product
                    peace
                    -matt

Comment

Working...
                    X