Loosening p/s pump????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loosening p/s pump????

I have searched, and couldn't find the right info.

Well, I'm getting into some maintenance stuff now that i have a job (though don't get paid til Friday, but whatever) and I decided to do the belts because the alt belt has huge chunks missing and I'll replace the p/s belt also since I have to take it off anyway.

Main question, how the hell do these belts come loose?

It looks like the p/s pump is what keeps the belt tight, so I loosened the bolts, but the pump didn't budge. I can see a bolt behind the pulley and it looks like that is what the pump pivots on, but I just can't get to it. I've WD40'd everything pretty much, even went at it with a hammer (sort of) and still nothing moved. So I tightened it all back up and decided to ask the Protege masters here for tips. I huess the reason this thing hasn't fallen apart is because of all the rusted bolts, haha.

I lost my keys or else id go out and look and tell you for sure but try to loosen all the bolts and then it should pivot downwards. usually the bolt facing the radiator puts tension on the belt, the other bolts hold it in place once tension. soo loosen the other bolts then loosen the front one till you can pop the belt off.
    -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
    VF10 powered!
    262 Whp & 257 Wtq
    13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

I've loosened everything except the bolt behind the pulley because I just can't get at it. Cranked the engine a few times and almost had one of the holes in the pulley lined up, but it wasn't perfect and the socket just slipped off when I tried to turn it.

Comment

take a screw driver and stick it in the hole and tap it with a hammer to turn the pulley enough to get a socket on it.
        -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
        VF10 powered!
        262 Whp & 257 Wtq
        13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Alright, thanks for the tip. This will probably have to wait til the weekend now though since I have to work all week. But I get paid Friday, which is good because I need a new caliper too.

Comment

When you get a new belt cut the old belt off.You have to loosen that one behind the pulley,should be a threaded tensioner bolt on it as well from the front that adjusts tension once you get the one behind the pulley.
            Powered by ACME

Comment

I was thinking about cutting it, but didn't want to in case I couldn't get the pump loose. And yes there's the bolt on the front also. Thanks for the help guys, getting into a lot of mantainance stuff soon so you might be hearing from me a few more times, lol.

Comment

Update:

Just changed the belts at 2 in the morning because I couldn't sleep. Alternator was a pain in the ass to get to, but it got done. Just hope they're not too tight.

Comment

when u look at you belts u should be seeing the top of it.. which is the opposite side of the ribs;
                  so pretty much horizontal;

the belt shud be able to turn 90 degrees either way so that it's completely vertical..
                  anything less or more than that is too tight or slack.
                  | Ejaz | '98 Protegé | '02 Protegé5 |

Comment

Thanks for the tip tricksta. Haven't had any problems no far, but I'll check that tomorrow.

Comment

definitely give it a check;
                      i don't see why you had such a hard time changing the belts;

i remember changing mine in the middle of winter and took me less than an hour to do both of them. and it was my first time doing it.

there's a socket head..that u can release the tensioner for the p/s one.. and that one pops off..

and the alternator has 3 bolts and u slacken that..and the other belt falls off;

im not 100% sure as this was a year and a half ago.. but it was really simple.

Comment

No, you're right about the bolts and stuff. Just took me a little long because every single bolt was rusted in place so I took my time, careful not to break anything. Auto parts stores aren't open at 2 in the morning, lol.

Comment

i heard u; just give it ample time..and soak stuff in wd40 before you go tackle it

Comment

Checked the belts the other day, everythings fine. I can do the 90* thing no problem. No squealing or slipping or any of that good stuff. Might tackle the brakes tomorrow if I have time, if not then it'll have to wait til next week, but they WILL get done.

Comment

Working...
                            X