Auto transmission range mode sensor...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto transmission range mode sensor...

Anyone know about these on the Proteges? On my Rodeo there is one on the side of the transmission where the shift linkage connects to the transmission...it's main goal in life is to control the backup lights, display the gear in the instrument cluster, and give feedback to the ECU/PCM to control shift points. If it gets dirty or gets out of adjustments odd things start to happen such as backup lights not working, gear shifts become odd (gears shift too soon), etc.

The sensor on the Protege mounts on the front of the tranny and has a large electrical plug on one side, two 10mm bolts holding it down, and the center fits over the shifter going into the tranny.

I noticed after I got the CEL last week that the engine seems to lack power as I'm accelerating. I have determined this seems to happen mostly from 1-2-3 as the auto in the Protege seems to want to shift too soon (much as you would shift too soon with a manual and "lug" the engine). It doesn't do it all the time but enough to notice.

Does anyone know if the range mode sensor in the Proteges have issues like I descibed above? On the Rodeo I can take mine off, undo 7-8 star screws, and open it up and clean out the dirty grease/water that gets inside, regrease the lever inside, reassemble, and mount back on the tranny. The Protege's looks to be sealed...it appears that by loosening the 2 10mm bolts that the sensor can be rotated.

If anyone has experience with these on the Proteges please let me know. Otherwise, is there something else that controls when the transmission shifts gears?
    ________
    GS
    Last edited by smokstac; 04-20-2011, 07:37 PM.
Working...
X