Bought a 1.8...I'm a sick, sick man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davens
    Don't tell me you were looking also. Maybe wondering how you missed it?
    I wasn't looking at all. I wanted to see what kinda engine you got... condition, etc, how it was advertised... you know... I wanna know what to look for.
    Last edited by Intruder; 02-10-2004, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davens
      Don't forget the Kia Sephia engine...
      will I need a Sephia ECU and harness? or te Mazda stuff works the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
        It's the same engine as the ES 1.8 bp...

Comment

I see...
          In what condition is yours though? Does it need a rebuild or something? High mileage? Something missing? How did you get it for $200??

Comment

Dude...it's Ebay. **** goes cheap all the time. You think Kias are worth anything in Kentucky?
            They say excellent condition, 39k. I have no reason to expect a high mileage engine or something that isn't in good working order.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaMania
              The MSP engine would be around 1G with shipping correct? Which is a 2.0? A NA MSP engine is an ES protege engine correct? The 2.0 has more potential than my 1.5L

If it was a matter of buying a MSP engine that is already turbo'd with only 3K miles or turboing the 1.5 or dropping in a BPT with approx. 40K miles on it.

For what in my mind at the time was about the same amount of money for all three which one would you pick? I dunno if that helps. I was just thinking out loud about something that I hadn't really put much thought into.
              I'd either go with the BPT or turbo my current BP.
              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

lol i live in ky

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                  wait, stop asking questions and see the swap FAQ...
                  It is in the 2nd gen engine/ section..

sephia harness won't work with the protege.
                  photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I'm getting a little nervous...engine showed up today, finally.

I knew the valve covers would be different but everything else would say Mazda...but there is a Kia stamp in the casting for both the head and the block. WTF...so it's really not a Mazda engine?

Hopefully the two motors are as identical as everyone says.

Comment

take a pic ...
                      look on the driver side of the block.. Do you see bp cast into it

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I'll get a pic up in the next couple days.
                        I'm not worried if it's a "BP" or not.
                        I'm more concerned that the little **** that can make this a real headache...like brackets, sensors, accessories...might be different. I mean, if they were willing to cast their own blocks/heads what else might they have changed along the way. Hope Kia engineers are lazy.

The other thing, the thing has a nice coat of mud and aluminum oxidation. At least the insides of the engine look good. Apparently it's been sitting in a car out in a field for several months...The seller said they couldn't get to the car at one point to pull it out because it rained for a couple days and they didn't want to risk getting their tractor stuck in the deep mud. With as much mud that's caked on, I'm inclined to believe him.

So...39k and an automatic...it should be in prime shape if they even changed the oil just once a year.
                        I'll be spending the next couple weeks stripping everything possible off the block and giving it a good cleaning. Steam pressure washing, bead blasting, powdercoating/engine spray paint wherever possible. It'll look good as new.

And the valve cover...gotta shave the KIA logo...I'll be sanding/grinding it off. Luckily, it is a very shallow logo when compared to the Mazda valve cover.

Comment

davens just put a mazda bp valve cover on there... then you won't have to shave it at all.. and you will need ecu/wiring form a protege because the ecu/wiring from the kia won't work witht he protege from what i've been told.... are you going to use mazda speed engine mounts?
                          In the Garage
                          Black 93 MX-3 GS
                          Bp powered
                          GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
                          MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

Originally posted by protegeboy78
                            davens just put a mazda bp valve cover on there... then you won't have to shave it at all.. and you will need ecu/wiring form a protege because the ecu/wiring from the kia won't work witht he protege from what i've been told.... are you going to use mazda speed engine mounts?
                            My Protege is my beater/daily driver. I have two other modified Hondas that suck up the better part of my annual car-fun budget.
                            That means the poor flogged Protege gets red headed stepchild leftovers.

I could do the mazda 1.8 valve cover...but that cost money. I'm just as happy putting an hour of labor into the Kia valve cover to satisfy my aethestic tastes.

I have a 97 Mazda 1.8 ecu with a partial harness. I'm hoping between my stock z5 harness, the Kia harness and this partial Mazda BP harness I'll be able to cobble something together.

For mounts...I'm going with Davespeed engine mounts. They're, uh, a performance oriented hybrid rubber-polyurethane mount available in multiple grades of stiffness.
                            Actually, you just take your old mounts, seal one end with a sheet of tin foil and pour a durometer of polyurethane(Home Depot) you'll be happy with in the other side. Let is set. Presto. New mounts and won't tear like the old ones. Pretty ghetto...but it works.

I've got a 6 month old clutch job that included a turned flywheel and new axles so I should be good there.

Running budget:
                            $200 engine...$147 shipping
                            $85 BP(mazda) ecu/partial harness...shipped
                            $21 Timing Belt
                            $9 Spark Plugs

Comment

yeah the harness plugs from your mazda BP partial harness should plug up into the kia plugs.
                              I know on my kia harness most of the plugs were all the same.
                              You will need the BP downpipe.. the 1.5 and 1.8 downpipes are different.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

just so you guys know....the 2nd gen Sephia 1.8 DOHC is NOT a BP motor...well at least the heads aren't the same...but from what I understand on the KIA boards www.sreetkiaz.com is that it isn't a BP motor..

Comment

Working...
                                X