96 protege want move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

96 protege want move

In advance I am sorry if this is not the place to post this (if not could you tell me where) but I just purchased a 1996 Protege from a private party. They say nothing wrong with it but I had to get a new exhaust to pass inspection.

Minor Problems:
    When I do tight turns you here some type of clicking joints (from description 2 mechanics believe its the cv)

The car especially steering wheel vibrates hard when Im at a stop (like a stop light or stop sign)

Major problem:
    I only drove the car to get it inspected which is down the street from my house, then a little bit further to get the exhaust, then back to inspection and back home. (other then when I first got it I drove to get some tires on it)

First day I really drove it (other then getting the above done) I took a trip approximate 90 miles each way to see my family(i did end up riding around the city picking up family).

I leave and head back home and instead of going straight to my house I go to my fiance job and park. I keep the engine going and sit there. When I get ready to park next to my fiance I reverse and hear this loud grinding noise as if things were just falling out. Put the car in drive no motion just loud noise. Put it in neutral nothing. They could not push the car foward when I had put it in neutral they just could push it back. Some mechanic say it could be transmission and some say it could be an issue not as sever as the transmission. What do you think. I have to get my car fixed ASAP but I do not have a lot of funds. I hate to call a mechanic and his prices are more then I can afford after I have already paid him to look at the car or perform the diagnostics because then I will have to pay someone else to look at it.

Any advice and information about what I can do, the different possible problems there could be or anything could help because I am on a very very tight budget right now.

without looking at it, i can't really help you with the tranny thing, if the adjustment isn't messed up on the selector, could be a one way clutch in the tranny (could be broken hence the noise...) but can't be 100% sure without looking at it. as for the minor problems, the clicking would be a cv and the shaking would probably be motor mounts, which all except for the very back one (at least on my car) are pretty easy to replace.
    sigpic
    96 protege dx - gone :'(
    94 Mustang Gt - Became one with a deer
    02 dodge 1500 - CAI, random aftermarket exhaust
    95 protege dx - now derivable, my new project

Originally posted by firelizard
    I'm going to go take a bath in $10 bills after my mom makes me a PB&J.
    Me: just wondering if that was a 2500 and if it was a diesel
    Class mate 1: it wasn't mine, but i think it mighta been a 1 ton and ya it was a diesel
    Class mate 2: no way, that truck was way to big to be a 1 ton...

Comment

Thank you for your reply. My fiance and a coworker looked at it today while it was daytime (it was night when it happened) well come to find out (through the coworker who know alot about cars but dont fix them for a living) the cvs snapped off and is hanging which is the reason it wouldnt go fowarded. We pretty sure this is it so my next step is finding a mechanic that fit our budget. Although I havent had this 100% confirmed we are pretty sure this is the reason.

The coworker said the person who sold it probably just through it together or something after it was already broken just to get a sale.

Comment

that would explain the loud metal noises, the axles are easy to replace if you have room to work on it, but it is time consuming if you haven't done it before. also if you haven't really worked on cars before, i wouldn't really suggest trying to replace the axles as being your first repair, it would be possible to do, and they really aren't that bad. The only real part that sucks is getting the tranny side of the axle out of the tranny. Some axles will basically fall out, while others you have to use prybars and hammer the crap out of it till you compress the stupid metal clip and it pops out and lands on your face... but you learn for the otherside after swearing at the car for half hour...

either route you go, good luck! i'm glad the tranny wasn't busted and i'm really surprised i didn't put 2 and 2 together since you did mention the cv's going...
        sigpic
        96 protege dx - gone :'(
        94 Mustang Gt - Became one with a deer
        02 dodge 1500 - CAI, random aftermarket exhaust
        95 protege dx - now derivable, my new project

Originally posted by firelizard
        I'm going to go take a bath in $10 bills after my mom makes me a PB&J.
        Me: just wondering if that was a 2500 and if it was a diesel
        Class mate 1: it wasn't mine, but i think it mighta been a 1 ton and ya it was a diesel
        Class mate 2: no way, that truck was way to big to be a 1 ton...

Comment

Working...
        X