Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at a 98 LX and have a major issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at a 98 LX and have a major issue...

Last edited by smokstac; 01-10-2012, 12:22 PM.

Sounds like a stuck EGR to me. I never went through testing everything since I don't have the tools or equipment, but definitely sounds like a stuck EGR.

Take it out. Clean it with throttle body cleaner and a small brush or pipe cleaner wrapped around the shaft. Get inside the valve and outside where the shaft is inside the spring. I feel like that's where it sticks most, not inside. I used anti-seize on mine, but something like WD-40 might work also. Make sure to push the shaft up and down and spin it as well until you're 110% certain it's not sticking anymore.

Very cheap fix, free if you've already got what I stated above. A new valve is $250-$300 so it's worth the time and effort to clean it out first.

Cleaning the MAF with proper cleaner can help to. It had a very noticeable effect on the smoothness of my idle. Before cleaning the steering wheel would vibrate, you could see it, not his feel it. After cleaning the vibrations are just barely even there. Very surprising how something as small, and seemingly insignificant, as a dirty MAF can have on the quality of your idle.

Comment

I tried testing my TPS with my multimeter, but I didn't have the correct sized feeler gauges to set the right gap. So I said screw it and cleaned the EGR instead and that was the end of my problems.

Comment

egr technically makes your motor smaller in a way which means less displacement which equals less vacuum.
        sigpic
        ________
        '94 MX-3
        |229,000 miles and DEAD|

SOFA
        KING

SLOW

Comment

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Time to welcome new BH to the family

Comment

congrats on finding a simple fix !!

Comment

Working...
            X