98 Protege needs new trans want a different/ better performance one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

98 Protege needs new trans want a different/ better performance one

I don't like the gear ratio in my 5spd trans. It started popping out of fifth gear then not but two days later trans went out. I'm looking for a better trans or a performance one because the fifth gear is suppose to be o/d but it high revs at 70mph and sounds like it stresses the motor, by the way got the basic 1.5l engine. Don't know the stock trans but looking for a better one with a better gear ratio and can take what the motor can give it.

If anybody knows where or how to get one please let me know.

Try to find a 1994-1997 Kia Sephia with the 1.8L engine. It's a Mazda BP engine and uses a Mazda G-series transmission. They're a bit tougher than the Protege transmissions. Then, find a V6 MX-6 or 626 and take the fifth gear assembly and swap it into the Kia transmission.

Comment

Ok sounds like a lot of work for me and my trans guy but confused. You said mazada trans then look for a fifth gear assembly and put it in a kia trans. Do you mean the mazda trans you just told me about thats in the kias?

Comment

Kia used Mazda's BP 1.8L engine and G-series transmission in the Sephia. Kia toughened up the transmission case a little bit so it's a little stronger than the transmission found in our Proteges.

The 626 and MX-6 with the 2.5L V6 also used a G-series transmission and the fifth gear is taller and can be swapped into the Kia transmission to lower the rpms slightly on the highway (compared to the stock Kia transmission).

You'll also need the axles from the Sephia. I forgot to mention that before. The transmission's differential has 28 splines and I think the stock Protege transmission has 26.

Comment

It's the 88-91 626/probe/mx6 5th gear that swaps in I believe not the v6
          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

My bad, I was under the impression it was the V6. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Thanks guys I'll see what I can do

Comment

Working...
              X