97 Pro 1.5 (Z5) intermittent spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

97 Pro 1.5 (Z5) intermittent spark

I've tried a bunch of things trying to diagnose this issue, but it just doesn't go away. My Z5 runs nicely when it runs, but sometimes it loses all spark for no clear reason. It will run fine for a random amount of time and then the ignition just cuts out flat (spark loss verified - it's not fuel related or anything else). Sometimes it will start right up again, run for seconds to minutes, and then same flat dead thing. It doesn't seem to be related to heat, and I can't find any relation to anything, it's just straight up flaky. The sure fire way to get it going again once it's in "dead mode" is to tap the distributor housing with a tack hammer, a few smacks and it will always fire up (at least for seconds to minutes until it dies again, ad infinitum).

I've executed my HEI ignitor replacement mod, which works great but it still does the exact same thing, so I guess it isn't the ignitor. I've gotten a used distributor from the local yard, swapped it in and same exact crap - granted it could have been the reason that car was in the yard, conditions and history of the donor unknown.

I have checked the trigger signal from the ECU and it seems like there are pulses approximating 900RPM during the "dead mode" so I don't think it is the computer deciding I don't deserve sparks. I have checked grounds and such, all good. It doesn't throw cam position codes, though I haven't bothered to recheck codes recently. Also I think if there was a cam code it would stop sending the ignition pulse. Also the hammer fix seems odd, and localizes the cause to something in the distributor. I'm reasonably sure the reluctor thingy works all the time, because isn't that the same signal that is used for cam position (and no cam codes, so...)?

Anyone feel like I missed something? Anyone got some insight for me on how the ECU in these work and what might kill spark? How about guesses as to why the hammer trick works? Pretty soon I'm going to "fix" the entire car with a much larger hammer, I want to sell my Suzuki off but this thing has to be reliable for once first. Also there is no way in heck I'm buying a new distributor because they cost more than I got the car for, and will just fail me sooner or later anyway.

Got yet another junkyard distributor and this one works! Fixed up some TPS problems and it runs super sweet now.

Comment

Working...
    X