Intermittent miss-fire and stalling when at stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent miss-fire and stalling when at stops

I am wondering if anyone has dealt with the problem themselves. What is happening is when I am at cruising speed 2500-3000+ rpm every now and then I can feel a sudden loss of power, which will last but a moment, then the car resumes running as if nothing had happened. But when at idle at a stop the engine will just suddenly die without warning. The rpm's are somewhere around 700 or so when it happens. I have been able to restart immediately but the last couple of times it doesn't want to start and just cranks over then starts. I have just recently replaced the plugs, wires cap and rotor. Within the last six months I replaced the distributor and had it it timed since the timing belt had jumped some teeth. On the fuel side I have replaced the fuel pump and filter as well as the egr valve. Any suggestions are appreciated.

have you tested any other ecu's?
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I looking over the vacuum system I found that the vacuum line that goes to the Fuel Pressure Regulator has been severed, the problem is that for the life of me i can not find where it goes.....the other half of the hose seems to be missing. Where does it go? I looked at the vacuum diagram on the hood of the car and it shows it going to the TSV but I don't know what that is and the diagram shows two of these things. I am wondering if the other part of the hose and it'
      s component fell off the car.

Comment

hrmm. well an open vacuum line would certainly cause idle issues
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

I reconnected the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line and I replaced the O2 sensor, but the problem persists. I am in the middle of having to replace the radiator since it seems to have sprung a leak as well. The problem is currently this: The idle is fluctuating from near stalling and stalling, to surging to 2000 and then falling back down. While driving there are random losses of power for a second or two. And as of late when the car does stall there are times when the car doesn't want to start without stepping on the peddle.

Comment

low coolant can be an idle issue - replacing the radiator may help solve some if not the whole issue

Comment

Have you tried cleaning the idle air valve yet? Your current issue sounds like it could be clogged, or possibly dying. Keep looking for vacuum leaks as well; they cause similar issues. Just for funsies, swap out the fuel filter too. Probably needs to be done anyway.
              1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

The radiator has been replaced. I have not cleaned the idle air valve yet, but I have replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump within the last nine months. When I did the fuel filter the tank was pristine. When I ran the car to top off the radiator I let it just idle without ever stepping on the peddle and the idle never fluctuated until it was at operating temperature and once I stepped on the gas. I have yet to drive it properly today to see what happens. If there is a change for the better I will re-post, otherwise there is no change. I was wondering if perhaps it could be the throttle position sensor?

Comment

That's a possibility. Check the intake tube for cracks as we'll.
                  91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Working...
                  X