Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idling Issue

Hey All,

I've already posted this on the Facebook page, but I thought I might start a forum post for future reference and if this turns into a work log.

My dad has a 1997 Protege beater (200k miles) that is just sitting around in our driveway. It has a real severe problem with idling but otherwise everything else is workable. I want to take a crack at making it a daily driver by fixing the idling issue; specifically, it stalls anytime the RPMs get below ~2000 (auto trans) and the engine sounds/feels a bit imbalanced. The OBD2 codes that come up are P0134, P0140, P0141, P0304 and P1170. If I can fix the stalling/idling issue I will be pretty much set, and from research it seems that it is the Heated O2S sensors that have gone wonky. I was just thinking of buying and replacing both sensors, but I wanted to know if you guys had any tips before I dive into a potentially expensive repair attempt. Both sensors run at ~$90 excluding shipping in Rockauto, but I'd hate to drop a benjamin on a fix that doesn't work.

The car is a 2nd generation Familia, with the BP engine. Has anyone had similar symptoms before? I noticed that Kev (irishkev90) has a similar issue with his '97, but new O2 sensors did not seem to solve it. Any tips/tricks?
Working...
X