Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lenses of halogen replaceable bulb headlamps and the bases of such headlamp bulbs are marked with bulb types "HB1" to "HB7". Gaseous discharge headlamp bulbs are identified as the "D2S" or "D2R". The bulb type code is assigned by the US DOT when it approves a new bulb for use on motor vehicles. Canadian federal lighting regulations require the same codes.

Bulbs with different type codes are not interchangeable.

Canada, but not the US, also permits European headlamps as original equipment on new vehicles, and the provinces allow them as replacement equipment. Their lenses and bulbs are marked " H1", "H2", "H3" or "H4" and letter "E" in a circle. These bulbs are not interchangeable with North American bulbs with one exception: The North American HB2 is essentially identical to a European H4, but the HB2 has tighter tolerances on the base fit and filament location dimensions so that it can be used in a mechanically-aimable headlamp. A bulb that is marked only H4 (not HB2) is not intended for use in a headlamp marked HB2 because the wider tolerances may mis-direct the beam pattern. On the other hand, because of its tighter tolerances, the HB2 is quite satisfactory when used in an H4 headlamp.
    Information gathered from http://www.island.net/~cihp/headlights.html

Comment

Thanks guys..
      I was talking about replace headlight capsules

I found some on e-bay for like $60 for one side. Is that a good deal? Cuz I sure am not going to pay $250 from cork sport.
      VOTE FOR ME

You Don't Work, You Don't Eat, You Don't Grind, You Don't Shine

Comment

Capsules?

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
        1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
        Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Originally posted by baralheia
          There are a lot of us here that use H4 in our USDM cars, even though they didn't come with H4s, and there have been no problems. Search for it, TheMAN has posted a lot of good information on the topic.

Comment

9003 = H4
            just ask sylvania . . . only difference is that the H4's have higher vibration tolerances for motorcycle use.

Comment

I'm not talking out my ass, nor am I posting bull****, you are an ass, but that's beside the point. I specifically called sylvania when I bought the bulbs, and spoke with them about the differences.

Comment

To answer everyones question without being an ASS:
                Is there technically a difference between H4 and 9003? Yes, read Edwins link above^^
                Can I physically use either H4 or 9003 in my 95-98 Mazda Protege without things catching fire, voiding my warranty, causing WWIII, etc? Yes, you can.

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

You guys done^^
                  VOTE FOR ME

You Don't Work, You Don't Eat, You Don't Grind, You Don't Shine

Comment

Working...
                  X