No announcement yet.

sylvania Cool Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I was saying about bulbs shipped from England was the Osram Silverstars from powerbulbs.com, which is located in England. They cost roughly $30 shipped for the brightest non-HID bulbs available... which is about $10 cheaper than I can get cool blues locally.

Comment

Currently, the best deal you can get is through powerbulbs.com. H4 Osram Silverstar bulbs. Like Joel is saying, they cost about $30 shipped. All you need is a credit card.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
        In order to produce the same output as the non-tinted bulb, the tinted bulb has to be overdriven. In that case more current flows through the fillament, which corresponds to more heat being produced.

Not if they are the same bulb type. For example an H7 bulb is 55 watts. That same H7 bulb would not be more wattage if it had a blue tint, otherwise it'd be a different bulb type. The reason why you are getting a higher temp is because most of these blue tinted bulbs use xenon gas in them which burns hotter.

Originally posted by Mazda96Protege
        thanks for the info guys. and yes as i said before i will be getting the silverstars just to broke right now lol i bought the cool blues because they were only 17 plus tax which came out to around 19 bucks and the silverstars were like 32 or 37 for a pair of 2 so i went with the cheaper ones hehe
        Take it from me though, Cool Blues have terrible light output. Spend the extra $$ and get the Silverstars.
        2002 Blackmica P5
        CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

^wrong^

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder

In order to produce the same output as the non-tinted bulb, the tinted bulb has to be overdriven. In that case more current flows through the fillament, which corresponds to more heat being produced.

Comment

holy **** guys even tho the cool blue's aint that good there ALOT better then my stock ones its so ****ing bright now........i coulditn see anything with my stock ones cuz they were dim and the cool blues are bright and look good at night hehe

Comment

alrgiht to get this all strait. the stock pro balbs (in the owners book) are HB2s. i have a set of bulbs that i got from a friend that are HB4s and 9006. will these bulbs work in my pro or what? this thred has confused me a slight bit.
                www.teamvizions.net

Comment

what the hell year are you talking

Comment

Originally posted by northeast_mazda
                    alrgiht to get this all strait. the stock pro balbs (in the owners book) are HB2s. i have a set of bulbs that i got from a friend that are HB4s and 9006. will these bulbs work in my pro or what? this thred has confused me a slight bit.
                    The stock sedan bulbs are 9003/HB2 bulbs which are the DOT marked equivalent of the H4 bulbs. The two types are completely interchangeable. The 9006/HB4 bulbs do not fit the sedan nor the P5. I don't know what they're used for. The Osram Silverstar H4 bulbs are the correct sedan replacement.
                    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
                      The stock sedan bulbs are 9003/HB2 bulbs which are the DOT marked equivalent of the H4 bulbs. The two types are completely interchangeable. The 9006/HB4 bulbs do not fit the sedan nor the P5. I don't know what they're used for. The Osram Silverstar H4 bulbs are the correct sedan replacement.
                      does anyone know any other H4 bulbs that do fit the protege. i have a 97 by the way. also, if these bulbs are the same size as the old bulbs, could they fit?
                      www.teamvizions.net

Comment

does anyone know any other H4 bulbs that do fit the protege. i have a 97 by the way. also, if these bulbs are the same size as the old bulbs, could they fit?
                        Search and ye shall find. All H4 bulbs will fit in place of the 9003 bulbs.
                        Go to:www.sylvania.com
                        Go to Consumer products
                        Click on Automotive Lighting
                        Click on Lamp Replacement Guide
                        Search for 1997 Mazda Protege
                        Find that the '97 uses 9003 headlight bulbs
                        Conclude that the '97 can also use H4 bulbs

02 DX Millenium Red
                        Last edited by goldstar; 12-14-2004, 08:34 AM.
                        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

I don't get why you need to looks for other H4 bulbs when you have 9003 bulbs that fit your car. Are you looking for something specific.
                          You've got many choices:

Sylvania SilverStar 9003ST
                          Sylvania Cool Blue 9003CB
                          Sylvania XtraVision 9003XV
                          Sylvania OEM replacement 9003

I just don't see why you'd need to import an H4 bulb when the 9003 works just fine.
                          Last edited by loganss; 12-14-2004, 09:25 AM.
                          ED
                          '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
                          Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
                          WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

The reason for buying an imported H4 is that the Osram Silverstar H4 is superior to the domestic Silverstar 9003. The Osram does not have the blue tint that is applied to the Sylvania and therefore the Osram produces a whiter, brighter light than the Sylvania. I've run both and the Osram provides noticeably better visibility. Not only does the Osram beam project somewhat farther down the road, on low beam it lights up the shoulder more fully and brightly, an important consideration when doing fast cornering at night. I assume these benefits are a result of the lack of the blue tint. IMO, worth the trouble to order from Powerbulbs since their service is fast and reliable.

02 DX Millenium Red

Comment

thanx for clearing that up goldstar

Ok so the brighter we get our bulbs the better we can see but what about the people in on coming traffic. It'll probably seem like the high beams are always on.

I dunno about you guys but when I'm turning at night and really bright lights flash in my face I don't drive as well. I think I'm guilty of this too though. Oh well life goes on.

Why don't they sell the H4 Osram bulbs in the US stores?
                              ED
                              '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
                              Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
                              WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

The reason that the E-spec approved Osram H4 bulbs are not sold in US stores is because they are not DOT approved as is the case with the 9003/HB2 bulbs. For a complete explanation of the difference, read TheMAN's posts in:

Even though the Osram is brighter, there should be no problem with oncoming cars because changing the bulb does not affect the headlight alignment or the beam height. Since I've switched to Osrams, I've had no problems with being flashed as long as I switch to lows against opposing traffic.

02 DX Millenium Red

Comment

Working...
                                X