Window Tint + Illinois Law = Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the tinting laws are pretty rediculous in illinois

That really sucks about tinting your windows. But trust me I live in illinois as well, and the law is absoluetly ridiculous. A friend of mines, mother got a ticket because of tint on their stock tint, yukon. And then the officer had the nerve to tell them, that it doesnt matter if its stock or not. You are required to take it off. Manufacturers might as well not put catalytic converters on cars anymore. Ok so maybe im being a lil too drastic, but its the point im trying to get across. I have a 02 MP5 BLACK as can be. And bought it with dark, like 10-15% tinting on all windows and am being forced to either remove all the tint, or just the two front windows. But honestly I dont think it would look to bad, to tell you the truth. Its just rediculous that we have to do it. Thanks for letting me rant about this, it pisses me off to no end. I hate illinois, but then again taking emissions tests every year would suck a whole lot as well. So i guess I can't bitch to much. Later. OH by the way, what color is your car that your trying to tint?

Comment

i recently got my windows done...my rear was done 20% (or 80 by your thinking) and the sides done 40% (or 60 however you look at it) this kept it legal in my state...and i personally would go darker on the sides, but its a little late now. my friends blazer has 15 all around, and you can barely see in it..and the cops have yet to give him a problem.
      if you do get them done...do it all, if you dont want to take the chance..dont do it at all. also...with a tan interior(if you have one) it won't look as dark as it would if you had the grey/black interior, obviously (hence why im searching for one!)

Mods:
      JDM Headlights + Corners
      JDM Tailights
      1st Gen LX Black Wheels
      Shaved Side Mouldings
      Second hand 'High-Flow' Muffler
      Cone Filter
      KYB GR-2's + Perf Lowering Springs
      E-Bay front strut bar
      Gauge cluster swap w/ Tach + Indiglo gauges
      40% Tint on side windows, 20% on rear
      and the best custom 3rd brake light overlay...'ZOOM'

Comment

Originally posted by D_Roc1320
        That really sucks about tinting your windows. But trust me I live in illinois as well, and the law is absoluetly ridiculous. A friend of mines, mother got a ticket because of tint on their stock tint, yukon. And then the officer had the nerve to tell them, that it doesnt matter if its stock or not. You are required to take it off. Manufacturers might as well not put catalytic converters on cars anymore. Ok so maybe im being a lil too drastic, but its the point im trying to get across. I have a 02 MP5 BLACK as can be. And bought it with dark, like 10-15% tinting on all windows and am being forced to either remove all the tint, or just the two front windows. But honestly I dont think it would look to bad, to tell you the truth. Its just rediculous that we have to do it. Thanks for letting me rant about this, it pisses me off to no end. I hate illinois, but then again taking emissions tests every year would suck a whole lot as well. So i guess I can't bitch to much. Later. OH by the way, what color is your car that your trying to tint?
        D_Roc1320, it is on the first page my friend. I do not know how you missed it. It is sand mica. Another thing I have not mentioned was that I am in a group buy with a couple of other members for a carbon fiber hood. So I also believe that the tint will help blend the hood with the color of my car since I hardly have any black left.

P.S. Where exactly in Illinois do you live?
        Last edited by sanblaster1; 07-25-2005, 03:32 PM.

Comment

there are the laws for each state.

I have had some shops try to tell me that the factory glass comes with a 90% VLT (visible light transmission percentage) made into the glass. I have had others tell me that shops will tell you that so they can put 10% lighter than the legal limit, keeping the customer happy, and them out of trouble incase the customer comes back with a ticket for it being too dark.

oh and according to the site, you are not allowed to have reflective tint at all in IL.
          Last edited by D323; 07-25-2005, 04:23 PM.
          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
            http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm

should sticky that somewhere...could come in handy for people later
            Please sponsor me for the American diabetes association Tour de Cure.
            http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...383&px=3361088
            together, we can find a cure for Diabetes!!!!

Comment

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm

I have had some shops try to tell me that the factory glass comes with a 90% VLT (visible light transmission percentage) made into the glass. I have had others tell me that shops will tell you that so they can put 10% lighter than the legal limit, keeping the customer happy, and them out of trouble incase the customer comes back with a ticket for it being too dark.

oh and according to the site, you are not allowed to have reflective tint at all in IL.
              I was riding in my mom's car the other day (05 Grand Prix) and printed on the window was 70% Trans. or something along those lines, but the number was definitely 70%.

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
                I was riding in my mom's car the other day (05 Grand Prix) and printed on the window was 70% Trans. or something along those lines, but the number was definitely 70%.
                Newer cars I would believe it, but this guy was trying to tell me that my plain 93 323 came with that.... I had a much harder time believing that.
                The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Newer cars I would believe it, but this guy was trying to tell me that my plain 93 323 came with that.... I had a much harder time believing that.
                  Yeah, it should be on the window if it is.

Comment

Yow, I'm glad I don't live in Illinois... our tint regs in Louisiana are 40% for the front windows, 35% for the rear windows and 12% for the back glass (this is going by the standard xmission measurement -- http://www.doityourselftint.com/tintlaws.html). I just had the guy who did mine tint the side windows the legal limit, then go 5% darker for the back glass, and you don't really notice the difference. Perhaps trying for a light gradient might work for you (tho you'll probably need a sharper percentage difference to get any effect out of the tint).

And a word of note: with a car as pimp-looking as that, I really don't think that putting dark tint to disguise the interior of the car will help deter theft. Thieves will try to go after the car just based on it's looks/rims/etc. I'd pin my hopes on a decent alarm/immobilizer instead.

Comment

Originally posted by wulfe

And a word of note: with a car as pimp-looking as that, I really don't think that putting dark tint to disguise the interior of the car will help deter theft. Thieves will try to go after the car just based on it's looks/rims/etc. I'd pin my hopes on a decent alarm/immobilizer instead.
                      Thanks for the compliment wulfe. I am still unsure what the heck I am going to do right now. Although everyday I see cars with complete tint all around. So I may go that route with maybe a 35 all around. I still do not know. Peace.

Comment

on light colored interior and light cars, get a lil darker the you would with dark colred interior. the lighter interior will lighten up the tint, i didn 20% on my 94 its beight with light beight interior. makes it look like 35-45% but at ngiht i can still hide in there!

IMO
                        Maroon 1995 Probe SE
                        Beige 1994 Protege DX
                        Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

Originally posted by maz94protege
                          on light colored interior and light cars, get a lil darker the you would with dark colred interior. the lighter interior will lighten up the tint, i didn 20% on my 94 its beight with light beight interior. makes it look like 35-45% but at ngiht i can still hide in there!

IMO
                          maz94 your asking for me to get a ticket my friend. If I go all around with say a 35 the odds of me getting pulled over are less than if I go darker than that. I don't know. The law here is pretty much restricting me from doing what I want with my car. It's pretty disgusting.

Comment

Working...
                          X