Cutting in a OEM sunroof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting in a OEM sunroof

Ok seriously how hard could it be? There is a donor car with a perfect headliner, sunroof, controls everything. If I cut the whole roof off and take it with me home how hard could it be marking the exact location to cut? I have really good sealants which I use for work that will stick to anything also they're clear. (no not silicone)
    What I was thinking is the dang thing will bolt up to the car already. All the shells have the mounting locations. If I make a perfect template of where the hole is on the roof, transfer that to my roof and then cut small amounts at a time.
    I have most tools needed already so thats not an issue.
    thoughts, comments, concerns?
    I know there is only one shot at doing it correctly so if anyone has ever seen info on someone else doing this let me know
    I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
    |.....Overnight....................| ||
    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

HMMM i know alot of factory sunroof systems have drip rails and tubes etc .
    Your roof may or may not have them ,Im not sure on that one.
    Just a consideration Nate.
    Powered by ACME

Comment

I think what I'm going to do it take the sunroof apart at the yard and check it out. Hell if I don't feel like it will work then I will just leave it alone
      I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Nate just take the roof skin off.

I've never done it on a mazda but on my parts probe it was literally tack welded in like 4 places.

It'll be alot easier than dicking around with roof cutting and measurments and garbage like that.
        Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
        kitty, you are a hilarious woman
        Originally posted by HopelessCow
        there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
        Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Wouldn't that require removing the windshield? Also that will require paint, as the donor is green mica

Comment

I didn't have to remove it in the probe..

And the people that i've seen do them on hondas never have to remove the windshield.

And for paint your going to have to get the sunroof painted anyway. Just take the damn roof assembly in to a body shop. It won't be that expensive and you'd probaly just screw up your stock roof paint anyway cutting into it.
            Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
            Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

meh i need to do some trolling of teh internetz. to be sure i'll find some damn info.

Comment

shi- look it up in the damn fsm PDF.

It should be in there.

I'd look in mine but its still on loan :/
                Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Like I said elsewhere, no cutting, just drilling spot welds.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthericego View Post
                    meh i need to do some trolling of teh internetz. to be sure i'll find some damn info.
                    If you are serious about this, the only proper way to do this is to swap the roof panel entirely, if you look at the factory moon roof the edges are rolled and it is practically impossible to dudlicate this., you will need to locate and drill out the spot welds on the four corners and regardless of how you do it, you will be repainting all or part of the roof.

Pat.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sube View Post
                      If you are serious about this, the only proper way to do this is to swap the roof panel entirely, if you look at the factory moon roof the edges are rolled and it is practically impossible to dudlicate this., you will need to locate and drill out the spot welds on the four corners and regardless of how you do it, you will be repainting all or part of the roof.

Pat.
                      thanks for your input, I had a concern about the edges being rolled similar to a fender.

Comment

If you pull this off, bet on doing it to my 1st Gen.

DX with a "factory" sunroof FTW!
                        My car is a Vazondissan. Part Nissan. Part Mazda. Part Ford. Part VW. Part Honda.

1993 Protege - DX with LX upgrades. Still rockin' the SOHC. Custom HID headlight Retrofit.

2009 Mazda 3 - Finacee Car. No power nothing. About to trade in for a 2014 Mazda 6 Sport.

Install Shifter Bushings: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...491#post646491

Custom HID's: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...&highlight=hid

Comment

works for me

Comment

When and if you do so this, I would go ahead and replace that motor that drives the sunroof while you have easy access to it.

Just my $.02 on the matter at hand. Summer is approaching. Hurry up and buy!
                            My car is a Vazondissan. Part Nissan. Part Mazda. Part Ford. Part VW. Part Honda.

1993 Protege - DX with LX upgrades. Still rockin' the SOHC. Custom HID headlight Retrofit.

2009 Mazda 3 - Finacee Car. No power nothing. About to trade in for a 2014 Mazda 6 Sport.

Install Shifter Bushings: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...491#post646491

Custom HID's: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...&highlight=hid

Comment

Bump for updates?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X