JDM fog lights and fender side markers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JDM fog lights and fender side markers

I bought these fog lamps (sorry for the poor quality of the photo) and I have had them saved for a while because I do not know how to install them. Also, as I know that no one USDM Protegé left the factory with fog lights, I know I'll have to do the wiring myself, but I do not know how. And what kind of bulb do they use? H1 maybe?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1996 Mazda Protegé JDM fog lights.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1275271

I also have another question: The USDM 95-96 models come from the factory with a side marker in the front bumper, but since i installed the JDM one, these are no longer useful and the wiring remained there. Can I use the same wiring to install them in the fenders?

Name:	1996 Mazda Protegé front combination lamp harnees.jpg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1275272
    My Z5: The slowest car in the world (13 seconds on 1/8 mile)

Midnight Imports Team from Mexicali BC, México.

In search of Mazdaspeed parts...

For the side markers, using the existing bumper harness should be fine, you'll probably have to extend the wires somehow to reach the area of the fender where you're mounting the light.

As for the fog lights, mine are wired to come on with the "parking" lights, the first click when turning on the lights. I'm not sure how the '95/'96 lights are wired, but at least one of those three corner lights should come on on the first click. Find which wire it is and use that as the power for your fog lights. This will keep all your factory controls without having to mount some aftermarket switches. You might need to swap in a bigger fuse for the lighting circuit after installing the fog lights, however. After I wired mine up this way, they kept blowing the fuse.

If you can find some wiring diagrams, they'd be helpful to get an idea of what wires do what.

Comment

Yes, I'll have to extend the wiring to the fender and I have already ordered the side markers on Amazon, they are clear, I think they will look great. Bumper side markers and corner lights cpme on at the first click, but what happens if I want to install an aftermarket or OEM switch for the fog lights?

Another issue I want to correct since I installed LED bulbs is hyperflash. I do not want to put resistors and I have not found a replacement for the flasher unit (I could only find for 3gen Protegé). What do you recommend?

Comment

If you want to just slap an aftermarket switch for the fog lights, it's fairly simple. Power from positive battery terminal, fuse, switch, fog light, ground. There should be a ground strap behind the bumper/under the headlight on each side to tap into on both sides, just a spade connector will work. Your you can find a bolt going into the body to ground to.

The easiest way around the flashing, that I know of, is the resistor. It's flashing quickly because the circuit doesn't have enough load to flash properly. It's expecting the load from the standard, filament, bulb. When there is less load than expected, it flashes faster. This is why your signals hyperflash when a bulb is blown. LED bulbs use less power and therefore put a lower load on the circuit, causing it to think a bulb must be blown so it flashes rapidly. Resistors increase the load on the circuit to equal the load of filament bulbs and prevent hyperflashing. Or you could pack in enough LED bulbs to equal the load of filament bulbs, but a typical filament bulb uses around 25 watts while an LED bulb can use as little as 0.5 watts. Not very practical. I think you can find LED bulbs with built-in resistors, but I'm sure they're more expensive than just an external load resistor itself.

Comment

Thanks for helping me Kev, it is good to see that there is still a BHA community, which in my country is almost nonexistent. I will work on all this as soon as the side markers arrive.

I found this in a catalog from a company called Sheng Teng (look at ST-03088L and ST-03089L), but the company's website does not give information on where they can buy their products.

Name:	6-3-2019 23.3.29 1.jpg
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	1245713

I contacted Diode Dynamics to see if they offered a relay flasher (or something similar to the SmartTap) for Mazda, but apparently no product is compatible. I've been looking for anit-hyper flash LEDs, but the ones I found (Lasfit) are quite expensive, about $ 2830 MXN (around $ 150 USD) for a 2-pack. I'm afraid I'll have to install resistors.

Comment

any LED flasher from ebay would work. you'll just have to change the pins if they don't match the OEM flasher relay. no big deal
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
            X