Originally posted by bubbashane
    How much of a gain do yall think the headers will give
    the 1.5?
    hmm if you had the cai headers and exhaust youd prolly get 25 or so
    maybe headers alone would get ya 10?

course i could be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
      For my BP powered second gen its like 750 CDN or something. I forget exactly.
      Who exactly told you that? Because when I called there, they said 1100 CDN which translates to 800 US dollars.
      Last edited by Torped0; 07-21-2004, 11:46 AM.
      Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

Originally posted by psycotic
        hmm if you had the cai headers and exhaust youd prolly get 25 or so
        maybe headers alone would get ya 10?

course i could be wrong

I/H/E will get you 10hp on a z5...if you're lucky

Comment

Originally posted by Torped0
          Who exactly told you that? Because when I called there, they said 1100 CDN which translates to 800 US dollars.
          Thats what they told me. when I sent an email, it was quite a while ago, I could have been wrong, but that might have been their *estimated* price at the time which happened to be before it was finished being R&D'd.

EDIT: never mind, that was the header. I was thinking of.
          I don't want their cat back as its 2.5'' and I don't want anything that big unless I could afford their turbo kit, which would then make me want a 3'' system.
          Last edited by midnightblue97; 07-21-2004, 06:07 PM.
          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by davens
            I/H/E will get you 10hp on a z5...if you're lucky
            Yeah, thats about right.
            Ryan The middle child is always ignored
            BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
            Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

i/h/e will only get you 10 on a z5?

what about on a bp?

Comment

Originally posted by psycotic
                i/h/e will only get you 10 on a z5?

what about on a bp?
                im sure it'll get a lil more than that on a z5....

with a cai, 2.5" catback exhaust, and headers, it's gonna be giving
                a little more than 10hp.

We'll see because there's a dyno shop down the road and Im gonna
                take it down there once im done modding.

with just my aem cai and 2.5" exhaust I can tell a hell of a difference.

As a matter of fact, not to brag, but i raced the same year pro as mine not to long
                ago from start to finish and beat it on take off and on top end with about
                5 car lengths in between.
                Mike A.

Comment

Do a before and after dyno pull on i/h/e installation. I'd bet money you see 10 hp max increase to the wheels.
                  It's not even what you can drive up and squeeze out for a max HP figure because all dynos are different. You need an objective, calibrated, before and after comparison.

Import Tuner magazine is actually good at this in their tech pages...they do pretty objective before/after comparisons.

Here's a 1.5l scion/toyota engine that is probably better then the z5 in many respects:
                  ................................................HP Level........TQ Level
                  Baseline...................................82.8... ...........87.5
                  AEM CAI, Exhaust, Header.........89.6..............92.0
                  Difference.................................6.8.... ............4.5

Here's a Del Sol. Using premium parts on a proven tuner engine and going for a synergistic effect, they only managed a 10.5 hp increase.
                  ................................................HP Level........TQ Level
                  Baseline...................................92.4... ...........94.2
                  AEM CAI, Exhaust, Header..... ..102.9............101.8
                  Difference.................................10.5... ...........7.6

Don't be sucked in by manufacturer marketing. They always say "up to" 10 hp when in reality, "X" part is good for a consistent + 4-5 hp

So if you think you're going to do better...(snicker).

Originally posted by bubbashane
                  im sure it'll get a lil more than that on a z5....

with a cai, 2.5" catback exhaust, and headers, it's gonna be giving
                  a little more than 10hp.

We'll see because there's a dyno shop down the road and Im gonna
                  take it down there once im done modding.

with just my aem cai and 2.5" exhaust I can tell a hell of a difference.

As a matter of fact, not to brag, but i raced the same year pro as mine not to long
                  ago from start to finish and beat it on take off and on top end with about
                  5 car lengths in between.
                  Last edited by davens; 07-23-2004, 03:06 AM.

Comment

not to mention that the "10 hp" increase in MAX power would probably cost you something in the lower rpms

if you're willing to spend $1000.00 for a header, $250.00 for an intake, $400.00 for a cat back exhaust ($1650.00) and the sole purpose is for you to gain up to 10 hp
                    you're totally spending the money on the wrong parts

spend $1000.00 on a BP, $200.00 on an ecu, and $450.00 on a new timing belt, waterpump, oil, coolant, pcv valve, plugs, wires, dist cap$ rotor, and you would have spent the SAME amount of money, done WAY more physical labour.... but you would net an extra 30hp, a more usable power band, more aftermarket support, and a 500 rpm higher redline (which doesent really mean anything..) but yea

a header, intake, and cat back will cost you a whole hell of a lot, and you will end up with some more peak hp, most likely some lost low rpm power (unless you spend dyno time figuring out what combination of what parts will give you the best power output) and the car will be waaay louder than factory

i almost fell into the trap of building the z5 but i quickly realized that its a really bad choice
                    there are NO benefits to it

not to mention if you swap, you might be able to get $100.00 for the Z5 if its in good shape

Comment

**you'd also have to spend money on a wiring harness for the BP swap

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
                        not to mention that the "10 hp" increase in MAX power would probably cost you something in the lower rpms

i almost fell into the trap of building the z5 but i quickly realized that its a really bad choice
                        there are NO benefits to it

not to mention if you swap, you might be able to get $100.00 for the Z5 if its in good shape
                        In essentialspeed's defense, they went out on a limb and developed parts for an engine that had zero aftermarket support. I fear it may have been a poor decision on their part(5 years out of production and a car that average enthusiast wouldn't touch if they were given a choice).
                        I'm sure their parts add the maximum amount of horsepower that can be extracted from the z5, but there is a limit to what physics can do.

Now that the BP swap is getting hashed out, it really is the better choice...if you can swing the upfront cost, have access to the facilities and know how to make a swap possible.

Comment

Also with essentials case.. don't think they didn't do ok on making these parts.. The R&D cost for my turbo 1.5 covered materials that was needed.. they didn't lose any real money.. the only thing might have been the labour.. A performance shop that custom makes parts for cars never really lose. There has to be someone willing to use the part before they make it.. they won't just fab something up and hope it sells.. as long as they have one on a car.. they have the plans to duplicate if necessary..
                          98 Protege SE
                          -------------------
                          1.5L Turbo

Comment

Working...
                          X