No announcement yet.

95' clear bumper lights (signal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone wants to try the office light idea, you have to buy a Plastic cutter from a hardware store or else you will just break it. You also have to get the more expensive Acrylic kind, not the cheap $4 dollar kind. I think it runs $9 here for the good stuff. I can see it working if you take your time and use the proper tool and plenty of heat. That stuff responds pretty good to a heat gun.
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Also, there are different texures you can use, I think the "cracked ice" kind would look pretty sick....there is also a really fine textured one that would probably be less extreme looking.
      According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

all i did was use a dremel to cut the plastic clear lense out. this was done about two years ago.
        Almost there

jdm tails... check
        jdm bumper... check
        ms lip... check
        ms grill... check
        ms sideskirts... check
        ms rear skirts... check
        ms spoiler... check
        ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
        Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by caloyski5
          best to use the material used in office lighting..the cover that diffuses the bulb..that's what andy used..

first thing he did was break off the original lens, cleaned the assembly of the amber lens then used the office material, heated it up, etcetc, used silicon and voila...

i don't think so...
          iirc, andy worked in the signage business. he actually had one-offs made. there's no way cutting plastic and silicon can look that good.
          Almost there

jdm tails... check
          jdm bumper... check
          ms lip... check
          ms grill... check
          ms sideskirts... check
          ms rear skirts... check
          ms spoiler... check
          ms struts... check

Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

i hope mine comes out as good.....

i've cut the clear lenses out so next would be the drilling of the hole for the bolt. its so brittle that i am afraid it will crack. 95pro have you drilled a hole on yours already?

the real problem, as i can see is the "hole" that will be created using these clear lenses. the amber ones has like a "tunnel" where the bolt goes into (obviously for sealing the amber lense). its hard to explain but for the ones that are doing this i am pretty sure you would understand.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
            Mods:
            DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

yeah i've already done what you're doing right now beetl_orange. it's just not going to look like the pics of andy's car. it looks really terrible, maybe its just my work.lol but yeah andy's lights are made from an actual mold. if you drill a hole, from a distance it looks okay, but i'll never look like andy's.
              Almost there

jdm tails... check
              jdm bumper... check
              ms lip... check
              ms grill... check
              ms sideskirts... check
              ms rear skirts... check
              ms spoiler... check
              ms struts... check

Comment

95pro,

yours didnt crack when you drilled a hole? you said you have something else in store, do you mind sharing it? i just hope it doesnt crack when i drill a hole. i still do think that this has the potential to be a "decent" mod or else i would not have done this but this project IS turning out to be one of hardest for me.

Mods:
                DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.

Comment

i didn't use a drill for the hole. i used a dremel. or one of those roto-zip tools will work fine too.
                  Almost there

jdm tails... check
                  jdm bumper... check
                  ms lip... check
                  ms grill... check
                  ms sideskirts... check
                  ms rear skirts... check
                  ms spoiler... check
                  ms struts... check

Comment

Originally posted by beetle_orange
                    95pro,

yours didnt crack when you drilled a hole? you said you have something else in store, do you mind sharing it? i just hope it doesnt crack when i drill a hole. i still do think that this has the potential to be a "decent" mod or else i would not have done this but this project IS turning out to be one of hardest for me.

just start out with a small bit and work your way up.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Smoked Out

Hey everyone - I got tired of waiting to see if anyone would ever find clear signal lights, so I decided the easiest thing to do would be to mask my signals so that they would be darker. It works 'cause I have a green car, those of you with lighter colored ones might not like this so much.

I ordered this "Smoke headlight/taillight protection sheet" from www.stickercity.com. It came in today and here are some pics of what my signals look like with it on. I got the 20% (lighter) stuff but they had 35% (darker) too (Don't ask me what the 20, 35 mean I always thought the lower the number the darker it was, but apparently not with this company!) I bought a bulk pack and then cut the cover material to fit the signals (I got an 7x16in sheet and I had a little left over when I was done)

I will post more pics when I put these on my car, and will hopefully be able to take a pic while the blinkers are on to show the brightness- I tested one side and the signal was still visible- definitely not as bright, but it seemed good to me at night.

I need to test these during the day to make sure that the signal is still visible through the cover, but I'm hoping it will be fine.

My camera is being a punk and the pictures are coming out really dark, so for both of these pics on the left side there is a FLASHLIGHT shining directly on the lit up part - and the rest is not quite as dark as in the pics.

what do you think? I wonder if it's legal.....
                      Attached Files
                      95 2gen LX 5-speed
                      Sony 52X4 HU
                      Alpine 6x9's on the rear deck, Sony Xplod 6.5's in front
                      NGK Spark Plug wires and Iridium IX Plugs
                      Euro Reverse Glow Guages and Carbon Fiber Bezel
                      ( My guages work now!)

Comment

SO from what I saw tonight I'm gonna say that I like the covers. They really make the signal lights less noticeable, at least at night.

Here is a pic of the covers, and also links to my VBgarage with pics of the lights on - to show how much the amber shines through the cover. I was impressed.

Attached Files
                        95 2gen LX 5-speed
                        Sony 52X4 HU
                        Alpine 6x9's on the rear deck, Sony Xplod 6.5's in front
                        NGK Spark Plug wires and Iridium IX Plugs
                        Euro Reverse Glow Guages and Carbon Fiber Bezel
                        ( My guages work now!)

Comment

nice, i am still going thru with my clear lense and just waiting for the OEM signal light that i ordered. i've cut the 2 clear pieces and drilled the hole for the bolt. will post pictures when i am done.

Mods:

Comment

dude i cant wait to see it
                            the dirty irish

Comment

Originally posted by 97sean97
                              dude i cant wait to see it
                              me too....

Mods:

Comment

just got the spare signal light so i can proceed with the changing of the lenses. the amber lense is a PAIN to get off! i've tried slamming it on the concrete stair and hitting it with a hammer and i've only gotten a small piece off. DAMN this sucks but i am still pretty much up to it.

95Pro, what did you use to take it out?
                                Last edited by beetle_orange; 02-24-2005, 10:55 PM.

Mods:

Comment

Working...
                                X